Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I think if its legal then its ok with me
46.67%
I think that its unethical and takes the sport out of it
42.67%
I have no opinion one way or another.
10.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Dog Hunting ...agree or disagree and why?

Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dog Hunting ...agree or disagree and why?

I too am from Virginia, like Allen Denton. However, I DON'T hunt with dogs. Wait, let me re-phrase that.... I have gone rabbit hunting & upland bird huntingwith my 9 yr old black lab once - does that count?

The deer dog hunting debate in Virginia is so controversial and so heated, that I don't want to speak up anymore. I did shoot my mouth off about it once - because of all my hunts getting ruined, but it did no good. It was like 500,000 hunters turned against me. I ended up like:

So, long story short.... Lesson learned. Deer dog hunting in Virginia is rich in tradition and is almost like a way of life for hunters east of the Blue Ridge. I just don't understand all the hub-bub and have never done it. I know some guys who run dogs and are very good, very ethical, and mindful of other hunters and property. But then again, there are others who don't care and will let their dogs run amok any day of the week, all hours of the day, in season, out of season, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. I have even had hunts ruined in early October during bow season! [:@]

Anyway, I finally learned to just let the deer dog hunters be, and hunt where to can't - west of the Blue Ridge out in the George Washington Nat'l Forest.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like many have said those dog hunters that have a blatant disregard for the laws and other huntersare there own worst enemies and in time I believe dog hunted will become regulated here in VA(and I am not opposed to some kind of regulations and accountibility). I love to dog hunt, by the time November 17 gets here I have logged in 100's of hours on stand and it is a nice change. I am fortunate to have found some guys to dog hunt with that are very responsible and we have a great time and good comradery but I have witnessed the other side as well. One club I hunt with was informed recently that the timber company would not lease the land to anyone running dogs because of insurance reasons and complaints (not necessarily complaints about their dogs just hunting dogs in general). So times are definitely changing, nowmore than likely when the land is purchased from the timber company (anticipated next year) dog hunting will again be allowed but it shows the need for better hunter landowner relations and bettercontrol of your hunts, and if the club beside you doesn't take care of their dogs and control them it will still have a negative effect on your club (even if you control your hunts/dogs). Only time will tell.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, I ran Hog Dogs for over 45yrs and have gone hunting in North FL with friends that run Deer Dogs, I don't really care to run dogs while Deer hunting, but then again, it's my opinion..
Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Somehow I think that all forms of dog hunting could cease over night and some folks here would still be coming up with threads to complain how the world continues to conspire to cheat them out of their shot at a big buck.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't speak for every situation of running deer-dogs, just my own. My county still has vast acres of timberland and MOST of our members are very respectful to others private property. I have never in 4 years had my dogs get into private property. There are stillhunters in the club, but they know that they can't complain about the deer-dogs.Istillhunt in the club some afternoons after running dogs, but I know that there is a chancedogs will run through my hunting area.Ijustwant help peoplerethinkthe wholeimageof the stereotypical deer-dog hunter.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck with that, since among deer hunters the ten percent increases to 20 percent and both thinking and rethinking can sometimes be overwhelming challenges.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it is done where property rights are respected I see nothing wrong with it. I find hunting in enclosures WAY more offensive than anyone hunting deer with dogs where it is legal.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Good luck with that, since among deer hunters the ten percent increases to 20 percent and both thinking and rethinking can sometimes be overwhelming challenges.
And just how many personal encounters have you had with dog hunters in Ohio?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm going to revise my opinon, lol....dogs are great hunting tool......hogs, there's nothing better...birding, great.....it's the deer hunting with dogs that i'm not too keen on...but if it is legal and the dogs are taken care of, so be it...it's been a part of hunting for years, its tradition.....