Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I think if its legal then its ok with me
46.67%
I think that its unethical and takes the sport out of it
42.67%
I have no opinion one way or another.
10.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Dog Hunting ...agree or disagree and why?

Old 09-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dog Hunting ...agree or disagree and why?

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

i've done it, and i also hunt rabbits in front of hounds, a lot of folks think it is like setting the woods on fire and every deer in the county will jump and run, well it just ain't so, deer get acclimated to the sites sounds and activity in the woods, doors shutting, tailgates dropping, they learn very quickly, like i mentioned i have done it, but i prefer to be in a stand with little to no pressure and bow in hand, and seeing nature at its best, but it is also amazing to see what deer can pull on a hound..makes those prized hounds look a little stupid

i don't wan't to mess anybody elses huning up, but it really wouldn't bother me if i never ran hounds on deer again, plus its been 15 years since i have[&:], but i sure don't want to tell anybody else how to hunt, what if they outlawed compound bows or tree-stands[:-]
ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT IT TAKES A DOG TO KNOW A DOG ...AND MT YOU ARE AN OOOOOOOOLD DAWG

DD

Old 09-15-2007, 01:58 AM

I'm in Louisiana and as someone said earlier, deer/dog hunting is legal here. Personally, I love it. The sound of the Walkers hot on a deer's trail and the excitement you feel as they're getting closer. I don't see how it is taking any of the sport out of hunting. As someone else said, it seems that the dogs get duped alot more than the hunters actually getting a shot. My biggest problem is that the few clubs where I have hunted with dogs were hunted out. I know of one club about 3 hours away from me in north LA where they have much more strict rules as for what deer can be taken and they kill some really nice deer there. Too far for me to drive.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have personally only done it once to see what it was like...i loved seeing the dogs work, but then i was told about capture myopathy(sp?), to have the dogs run it to death basically.....so i'm not too keen on it, never really was, but i love seeing /hearing the dogs work.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Up here in the North we hunt rabbits with beagles, bearand coons with large hounds like blue ticks. Most hound owners do it for the chase. If you go out with these guys and shoot a rabbit that isn't being pushed by a dog they will never ask you to hunt with them and their hounds again. Most bear chases result in dogs being pulled once the bear trees and leave it for another chase on another day. Most hound owners realize how effective the dogs are on bears and understand the need to let most of them live. All the respectable bear guys only shoot large boars. Many of those guys tree 20 or more bears in a season so the dogs are very good at what they do. If a bear guy is shooting all the treed bears the others in the area will quickly put pressure on him to stop. Many biologists use the bear guysinfo to help with their research and yearly data collection. In our part of the country if your hound chases deer it is a black mark on that hound. Most hounds men work hard to deer proof their dogs. If your beagle chases deer chances are that you won't get him back at the end of the days hunt and nobody wants to be stuck out in the woods calling for their wayward dogs at night. Hunting deer with dogs wouldn't go too well here but in parts of the South where it is a traditional way to hunt it probably will continue
Old 09-15-2007, 07:11 AM

Hunted with dogs with my dad all my life,nothing better than hearing the beagles light up and start roaring.We have had guy's say how un-ethical it is but not long after the conversation one guy shot the biggest buck of his life after cutting off two of our blockers.Then the kicker he told my dad how great the dogs work.And yes you are right the dogs do get away from you some times and around our area most people are great,they call and let you know they have your dog and where to pick them up.One time we had a problem we lost 2 dogs an old family friend called and asked if we lost some dogs and let us know they run across his brothers property and he shot them.I hear diesel fuel in a well is a nasty thing.[X(]
Old 09-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Ilove dog hunting--andI am proud of it!!! Down here in northwest Florida we are about to run out of big tracts of landto hunt! So we scaled down our dogs--Mind you I don't do it to kill deer --like to raise and train the dogs--Killin takes place during bow season--
As far as the fellow who wants a $50.00 bounty---Florida beat you too that but its up to $500.00 if your dog gets on property you don't have permision--Did that slow us down --YEA-- but we spent about $3000.00 on tracking collars and a tracking machine--(we got about 15 collars)--We don't let them lose on private property-but sometimes they get by--but with the machine we know where they are--Saved us money--the game wardens can see we trying!!

I hate to admit it but deer doghunting is a dying breed--But please don't talk bad about all us--Cause when they shut down dog hunting there coming after still hunting next!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been around it. Tried to take advantage of it. I'm sure the dogs love it, I know mine would if I let him. I don't think it's all that sucsessful based on conversations with some Florida hunters. They loved it. One guy took some buckshot in the leg.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowKnutt

I hate to admit it but deer doghunting is a dying breed--But please don't talk bad about all us--Cause when they shut down dog hunting there coming after still hunting next!!!
You know it!

My brother recently purchased a bird dog from some high powered out fit and then sent him to college for a couple months. Amazing animal.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Here in Louisiana, the dog hunters are poor ambassadors of their sport. If they all went to the trouble BowKnutt does, there would be no objection from anyone.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:14 PM

I really don't have a problem with it perse, but I do have a problem with the way that 100% of al the dog clubs that I have encountered have conducted their clubs. In S Georgia, and S Carolina, for over 20 years of encounters, I have yet to see one that didn't set their dogs loose on other people's lands, and then hide behind the excuse that dogs can't read signs, etc. I have seen properties go dry, big properties, and get completely shot out in a few seasons, and cause bordering still hunting clubs to be ruined as well--mainly becasue of the dogs being turned on them when they run out of oppurtunities. I am not saying that there are not good people in these clubs, but I , honestly, have yet to see a club thatdidn't infringe on others rights around them, either deliberately or through careless catching of the hounds after being turned loose. iA think that it is inherently buit in to the whole hunting method that this is inevitable, and this needs to be considered as to the impact that it can and will always have on others that are within several miles of them. I will gladly give you numerous instances where it has been detrimental to me, clubs that I have been in,and others that it has adversely affected as well, if you want proof--but I am already writing a long post, and to include them would make it an encyclopedia. If everytime that I went to teh woods and I knew that I was going to have to trample on someone elses right to be able to hunt in the manner that they wished,I would have to find another way to hunt. I have yet to see a singl einstance where this was not the case when still hunting and dog hunting was anywhere near close in their proximities. It is virtually impossible to consistently still hunt when dog hunting exists close by. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was voted out for that reason alone. I understand tradition,but if I have a tradition that is detrimental to others,the it is time to establish a new one.

Quick Reply: Dog Hunting ...agree or disagree and why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.