Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hanging stand tips

Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default hanging stand tips

I have a few hang on stands. Is there any tips on to hang them? I always have trouble getting the chain around the tree and hanging on to the stand all while trying to hang on to the tree.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: hanging stand tips

I know a guy that uses a climber to get in the tree, then pulls his hang on up and secures it.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Use your fall restraint to hold yourself onto the tree. try it out at 2' first to gain confidence that it will hold you as well as to figure out just howto use it.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy rigged up a little system. Hetakes a screw-in hook (a extra screw-in step would work,) and puts it slightly above where he wants the stand to hang. He's got a short length of paracord, about 2' long with a hook on each end. He attaches the hooks to the platform so now it's hanging vertical, against the tree. He's now free to mess with the chain and still hang on to the tree. When he's done with the chain, he unhooks the platform and it pivots to horizontal. He does use his safety belt while he's doing this.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I rigged up a pulley system that is on a steep 1 inch pipe that I squared off to fit inside the top rung of my climbing sticks. Once I attach the top strap of the stick and make sure its tight I run a rope through the pulley and climb back down and tie the rope to the stand and pull away. Tie off onto one of the other steps leaving about a foot or so of rope so I can manuver the stand. Lock myself into my climbing harness when I reach the top I know have both hands free, lift the stand, through the strap around and lock it in. All set. By building my pulley system I saved my self alot of wear and tear on myself, as well as the chance of falling was greatly reduced not to mention I can get the sticks up, strapped down, and stand hung in around 10 minutes.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've honestly just never seen the big deal with hanging fixed-position stands, and I certainly can't understand the need to use a climber.

Whether I'm using Cranford screw-in steps or Lone Wolf climbing sticks, I start out with the stand on my back (if I were to hang one of those behometh steel models, I'd leave it on the ground with a rope attached to it and tomy belt loop or something).

I throw my safety belt around the tree and use my lineman's loops on my harness to give me hands-free access to what I need to do. Maybe this is the secret good stand-hangers know that others don't, because there's nothing to it after that!!

I screw my first step so that I can step up with my right foot onto it, and always end up with an odd number of steps (like 9 or 11). That way, I assure myself of stepping DOWN onto the platform after I get it hung from the right side. More importantly, my compression straps always end up on the left side of the tree if I'm facing the stand, and this assures me that I'll be working to tighten that right in front of my face -- and not reaching blindly around the tree to do it.

After screwing in my final step, I take the stand off my back and position it where I want it (which was really done before I screwed in my first step from the forest floor!) and tighten up the strap. I then step down onto the platform and start hunting after I pull my bow up. It's really that simple.