Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

YOUNG DEER

Old 09-10-2007, 11:03 AM

Default RE: YOUNG DEER

I've shot my fair share of fawns...

Doe fawns taste good and removing them helps control the population withouttaking a breeding animal that year.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:16 PM

If it'll make a biscuit,I'll shoot it.We have way to many deer where I live,and need to thin some out.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 PM

Ive shot two fawns before. Only reason i shot them is cause i had nothing to compare their size with plus they were alone i immedialtely thought they were does, untill of course i got up to them, but i would never deliberately shot a fawn, even if it was near the end of the season.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I am going for table fare a yearling would be my choice, just make sure it's not a male.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:39 PM

I never shot a fawn. Is the meat really that much better?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 PM

PAHunter,
I've shot two. I can honestly say that the steaks are more tender. I could tell the difference between those two fawns and the other deer I've taken.
-- B
Old 09-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

The lil ones are just like veal but you risk the chance of a button buck. With as many deer the property i hunt has i can afford to shoot a few.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

I think shooting a fawn is pointless, if your hunting for meat then you wont be getting much, if your a rack guy then that fawn or yearling may be a male and you could killing off a big bruiser for the future, but whatever
Old 09-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where i hunt we are way over populated, and are curently in the process of getting i nucense (sp.) liscense, because of the damage the deer are doing to our farm. We have talked to the local game warden and he has told us a great way to control the population is to shoot younger does. I have shot one fawn but she was on her own, no mother around. not saying that makes it any better, but we need to get controll over the deer population where i hunt.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

no shots on young deer for me and i will not shoot spikes or small racked bucks...period! there are to many
does out there to shoot. let the small bucks walk and hopefully they will mature. if a doe comes in with a
small fawn...i am not shooting her...she gets the ez pass that day.

Quick Reply: YOUNG DEER

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.