Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Calling and other tactics

Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Calling and other tactics

Just wondering how many deer hunters out there actually use calls (bleat, rattling etc...) to bring in the big bucks and if they are actually effective? Anyone use any other tactics like making artificial scrapes and such? I've always just set up by a deer trail and waited, but this year I thought about maybe trying something different.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Calling and other tactics

I used a doe bleat for the first time last year. Within minutes of my first time useing it I had deer coming to the stand. The deer winded me any began to run off. I hit the bleat again and they came right back to the same spot. The deer winded me a 2nd time and took off again. This time I let them go.5 minutes before getting out of the stand I hit the bleat one more time. Out pops a really nice 8 pointer. I was sold on the doe bleat after this experience.

Best of luck
Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 AM

to me calling and rattling is all about timing. calling or rattling to agressivly in the wrong season could be disastourous, for instance and aggressive rattle early in the season could work in the wrong way for you as deer are not activlly sparring until the pre rut begins. but during the right time a call or rattle could be the difference between a wall hanger and a long ride home.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

My dad and I both have had a lot of luck withthe canbleat call. On opening morning last year dad hit thecan and a couple minutes later a nice 8 point buck showed up. When we came back from checking it in, our neighbor was waiting for us. He asked dad what he was using to bring in the deer. He said that the buck that dad had just shot was coming right for his stand. All of a sudden it stopped andlooked straight toward the area dad was hunting in. He said it did not even look back when it went bounding towards dad. After hearing this and having other successful hunts with the can bleat, we are sold.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:56 PM

the bleat can is jus a little canister that you turn upside down and it makes a bleat noise correct? my question is, when can it be used? anytime, during rut, after rut, etc. i dont understand exactly what its suppose to replicate, a doe bleating for her fawn, bleating for a lover (which would be during the rut), etc. like with rattling antlers, that has to be done at a certain time of the year, when bucks are fighting, when can the bleat be used? i have heard great things about it and want to try it out, but dont want to do more harm than good by using it at the wrong time...thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I missed a 6pt last yr that really responded to the 'can'. I saw him running a hot doe, which was running80 yds away. Out of bow range, Ihit the can when he stoppedrunning. He turned directly my way, grunting the whole time! I was so pumped, Ishot underthe buck at 25 yds. He returned to running the hot doe, and he persued her around me for 10-15 more mins but never came into range again. It sold me after that and I dont climb in a stand without one now
Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

when can it be used? anytime
NOWARNING WARNING WARNING! I have one of those and I tried it too early and the deer absolutely bolted out of there! Big deer too. so mad...
Old 08-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big deer too
this was one of them there was another that had a HUGE body but a slightly smaller rack still 10 pt though[:@]