Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer feeders illegal?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer feeders illegal?

how do you hunt over bait anyway, do you not fell like a worthless cheat, no disrespect but i cant see how you bring yourself to do so, i dont agree with it but if your allowed go ahead but i never would, its illegal anywhere ive ever hunted
Old 07-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steelcity

how do you hunt over bait anyway, do you not fell like a worthless cheat, no disrespect but i cant see how you bring yourself to do so, i dont agree with it but if your allowed go ahead but i never would, its illegal anywhere ive ever hunted
NO!! I feel like killing 7-8 bucks a season!! Good luck without bait, you won't see many deeraround where I hunt, unless you sit on trail where they are making there way to my corn.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:44 PM

In PA it is illegal andd I like that way. I think anyone who hunts of a feeder is not a hunter they are just killers.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Of course its not illegal to feed wildlife. You can own and use deer feeders. Its just illegal to hunt there. I know in missouri that all feed/ bait must be removed something like 60 days prior to hunting an area or it considered baited. So if you put out corn 30 days prior to season and even if all the corn is gone you still are not supposed to hunt the area.

Are you saying anywhere? In Illinois you cannot feed them anything, anywhere, anytime! And I must say I like it like that.

And Chase, good luck with that when you get caught []
Old 07-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

put a little effort into it before you set out bait, its much more rewarding as well as more fun, i dont see how you hunt over bait
Old 07-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the law in Missouri is you can put out salt or minerals any time of the year,deer can free roam and come into the salt or minerals at any given time unlike feeders that can be programed to run during daylight hours.If you do put corn or bait out it has to be completely removed 10 days before the season and anyone caught "Baiting" Deer can loose their hunting rights,and their gun and or also be Fined too!You can not put out "Bait" to get someone else in trouble either (entrapment).

We have put out some Purina Deer feed,peanut butter or feed blocks in the off-season to take trail camera pictures or feed the deer during the hard Winters but in the past several years we have put out lots of different food plots that are better for the deer and with the fear of CWD is it better to not feed the deer and worry about any contamination.If some States allow feeding Deer and hunting over baited sites then so be it,some states even allow hunting with dogs or using dogs to trail and find wounded deer...I would rather hunt deer without the aid of "Baiting" and hunt 100 % Fair Chase!Thats just my choice and the Ethical way I was brought up.

Some people think hunting by a Food Plot is unfair but for me it is not and that is our way of life where we live,some people think Crossbows are un-fair but many handicapped Hunters would not be able to enjoy Archery Hunting if the crossbows were not allowed in their State!If anyone decides to hunt in another state besides their own be sure to read up on all the rules and regulations of that State! Happy Hunting Everyone
Old 07-26-2007, 05:57 AM

In GA it used to be illegal io have bait out period durring deer season. Now you can have it out as long as you're at least 250 yards away and not in direct sight. We put a feeder upright in the middle of the lease and plan to keep it there all year. I don't see anything wrong with having a feeder up as long as you don't hunt right on top of it. Isn't a feeder the same thing as a food plot ? If you plant corn or peas to harvest and eat thats farming. right ? If you plant an acre of clover andshoot a deer in the middle of it you ARE hunting over bait, right ?Now some of you are will refuse to see it that way because you love your food plots, I do too. It's the same thing, period. Here in GA there is a severe overpopulation problem. The number of hunters is going down while the deer population is rising.

I'm not going to slam someone for hunting near or over bait, you shouldn't either. Unless you hunt in a loin cloth with a spear or bow youmade yourselfyou are no more of a sportsman than someone that uses bait as a tool. Am I wrong ?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Georgia has always had that "grey" area in their baiting laws. Most of the guys who I use to hunt in Georgia with don't get bothered by hunting over bait. the game wardens don't care around that area just because they don't want to see the deer population get more out of control.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 AM

ya there illegal in mass but evreything is in mass