Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Garmin eTrex Legend® CX GPS

Old 07-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Garmin eTrex Legend® CX GPS

I just ordered a Garmin eTrex Legend CX GPS.Does anybody have this model?If so what are it's strong points and it's weak points?How does it do when you are in thick cover like a swamp.Does it have detailed information on sertant parts of woods that you may hunt already on it or do you have to buy the extra softwhere.If you had a chance to go back and buy it againor dont buy it at allwhat whould you pick?Any infomation and helpfull hints about this GPS whould be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:57 PM

Default RE: Garmin eTrex Legend® CX GPS

If only you had asked about the Garmin RINO 530.....I would have said you got the best GPS out there.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got the Garmin E-trex Legend last spring for turkey hunting. I do not have the extra software.I like the features. It's easy to operate. However, Idon't think the maps, even the ones you can purchase, have that kind of detail. As far as the function, It works great. It'll track satellites even under a roof. When you have it in WAAS-enabled mode, it will take you within 8 ft of your marked spot. The only downside I've found so far is that it will loose satellite contact when you put it into your pocket. If you are marking your route, the loss of contact interrupts your route map. As soon as you take it out, it re-acquires it's contact. I find it annoying but not a problem. Bottom line: Knowing what I know, I'd still get it
Old 07-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the good info.I am vary excited to finally get one.I hunt 484 acres In Northeastern Lower Peninsula Michigan.I need it more for my swamp and when I go off of my property to look for a deer I have hit.Anyways when it is in my pocket I wont be needing it so thats no big deal if it looses it's route.I think the model you have is the few steps under and is the black and white version and I hear that with a (CX) color model you see more detail.I also invested in the 64MB card to let me put more maps on it.I have been told that Garmin is the way to go so we will see how true that is.Keep the info coming guys.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're right. The CX model is definately a step or two up from what I've got. I'm sure it's going work well for you.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Though I don't have one I have used them and thing they are a great little unit. Really all that is required for water, field and other usage. If thismodel had an electronic compass I would have bought it when upgrading from my olderGarmin (which featured an electronic compass)without question. I just p/u a Garmin GPS60C but have not had any real field time with it, though like every other garmin I have owned (this will be #3) it is very user friendly andexpect it will be as goodin regards tobattery consumption. IMHO Garmin are the king in handhelds, so I think you choose wisely. G/L and enjoy!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

If only you had asked about the Garmin RINO 530.....I would have said you got the best GPS out there.
Garmins are nice but, apparently you have never checked out the new line of delorme's earthmates have you... The all new PN-20 has everything beat right now!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Garmins are nice but, apparently you have never checked out the new line of delorme's earthmates have you... The all new PN-20 has everything beat right now!!!

The map features and being able to store satellite images looks pretty sweet, better than the RINO's.

The thing I love about the RINO 530 is the use of the radio's and the ability to send your location or waypointsto another RINO. It proves invaluable when you have 2-3 guys 3 miles back in the bush still-hunting, you'll never accidently get to close to the other guy.

If the PN-20 had that feature I would probably jump right on it.