Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling Antlers

Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rattling Antlers

I was just wondering how many people have had luck with rattling antlers and if you could share some tips that we could use during this deer season. Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rattling Antlers

I have had some good luck and no luck at all with antlers, but little or no luck, i still get them out every fall and will rattle in bucks, but just not always BIG bucks. I can assure you that it will work if you know how to set up close to bedding cover with the wind in your favor. I like to rattle for the couple of weeks prior to the chasing phase when the bucks respond to calling better. If you can get into a setup or an area that you know holds (bedding areas or core areas) big bucks, wait for the right windand smash the horns together and keep the bow close by because action can be quick. Good luck!!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a set of real antlers off a road kill buck. Use them all through the rut, best if used with scents as well. Make sure you rattle in a place where the deer will here you, like a hill above a trail or a field edge. Be ready, becouse bucks can sometimes come in really fast, i killed my first buck last year using rattling antlers. I rattled and not 5 minutes later he came in running.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

I tried this quite a bit when I started hunting but only had luck on 2 occasions. It wasnt real good luck either one deer being a spike and the other believe it or not being a doe. The spike was with a rattle bag and the doe was with a real set of antlers. I just did a few 30 sec to 1 min sessions about every 30 min. Other then that no luck with them. I still carry a rattle bag and try once in awhile but not much. I think it works best in areas where the buck ratio is high.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

still hunter makes a great point about the buck to doe ratio.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing that has worked for me is that I use antlers from 2 different bucks (4pt,other 5pt). Because they are of different mass they seem to have a little different tone than using antlers from just one deer (sounds different to me anyways). I've never had much luck during the pre-rut when the rattling is heavier but I have had quite a bit of luck in early to mid Oct. by just tingling the points as if the bucks are just lightly sparring. I've had a number of bucks come in trying to see what is going on.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Has anyone had any luck with bigger bucks with a rattle bag or box? Just wondering if Im wasting my time with the rattle bag.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 PM

I pulled my first one in last year using the bag. This year, I'm using his antlers. I like to recycle.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

I pulled my first one in last year using the bag. This year, I'm using his antlers. I like to recycle.
LOL.There ya go. Post pics if you get another.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Yea the buck to doe ratio has a lot to do with it. If a buck feels no need to compete for a doe...They will take no interest in the rattling.

Quick Reply: Rattling Antlers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.