Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling Antlers

Old 07-11-2007, 01:38 AM

Default RE: Rattling Antlers

I have a set of real antlers and like to use them. I have shot one buck that I know for a fact he came in from me rattling. He came about two minuets after I did it the first time and was grunting and bobbing his head back and fourth as he was walking. Sad part is just before I shot him I was hearing another grunting from behind me but was unwilling to risk it and I think he was a little bigger. My first year I had no luck but I was beating them together like I was trying to break them, you know, like the pros do on TV! LOL!! A guy at work said if I hit too hard I could actually scare deer away, the bigger the fight, the less that want to come and fight kinda thing. He said I want to make it sound like small deer so if a nice size deer hears it they will come in ready to kick butt! If you do it too loud the deer will think it is too big of a deer and stay back from a distance to try and investigate and check out to size up the competition, and when they see nothing they will not come. But small sounds makes them think small deer so the will come in real fast ready to kick some little kids butt for playing in their range. Not sure if its right, but it sounds good?!?! LOL!!. SO now I mostly just tickle them and maybe only hit hard a little bit now and then. I have stopped a couple of deer in there tracks as they where walking away and had them come back to investigate, but have either got busted or just not had a good shot. I think they are a good tool to have, but are not the "magic" call. I would say I have about a 10 to 20% response with them.

Also, as already said, doe ratio is a key thing to, why fight when you have more then you can handle?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 PM

I was wondering if you used a doe estrus bleat with the rattling antlers if that would bring in a buck better to maybe try to steal the doe? Has anyone had any success with this or even tryed it? Ive never used rattling antlers but im thinking about using them this year.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: redneck buck hunter

I was wondering if you used a doe estrus bleat with the rattling antlers if that would bring in a buck better to maybe try to steal the doe? Has anyone had any success with this or even tryed it? Ive never used rattling antlers but im thinking about using them this year.
I have actually tryed the bleat with antlers once, but some guy was poaching the same deer I was rattling to and shot at him like 6 times and never hit him and almost hit me! I dont know if he was interested or if he even heard me.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. you just have to be careful when rattle'n, because a smart/mature buck will circle circle around on you and pin pointyour exact location