Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When do you make that decision to shoot or not?

Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When do you make that decision to shoot or not?

You are in the woods and suddenly you become quite aware there is a deer moving through the area and will be within range soon.

The moment of truth comes and you must make the decision to take this deer's life or not.

Have you made up your mind well before or do you make that all important decision as it presents itself?

Is the deer population (high or low) a factor in your decision?

Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When do you make that decision to shoot or not?

I made that decision about 35 years ago when I started hunting. I believe that the whitetail deer is one of the most beautiful animals in the woodsand during scouting I am always amazed atits power and grace.A big buckis the most elusive game animal on this planet and is why hunting for them has created a billion dollar industry. But during hunting season when I havea whitetailin the scope what I see is that picture in a butcher shop that shows all the cuts of meat.I know that I'll be eating tenderloins that night.The only factor is that I have a tag to fill and people to feed at home.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends upon where I am hunting, and if we are in the rut...And, if I need the meat for myself or anyone else...

My situation is different than most, 90% of my hunting is on land owned by my family, we farm and we harvest 40-50 deer a year...We also try to take 3-4 does for each buck...I don't usually kill a buck unless his antlers are past his ears...I leave the culls for my nieces and nephews...

Early and late season, I'm more likely to take does...During the rut, I wait to see what else might happen...It seems the buck shows up about 5 minutes before the end of legal shooting light...

All that being said, I eat deer and use 4-5 for myself each year, so if I'm in the mood and a good doe comes by, she might be in trouble... This is especially so if I'm hunting with my bow or my flintlock, I feel that a mature doe with either of these is a trophy...
Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

deleted....
Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I usually make up my mind ahead of time on what my goal is. Depending on how my success has gone and the time left in the season determines if I change my goal. I have found adrenalin makes them appear larger so I try to be pretty careful. I have never been sorry I shot one though.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

You are in the woods and suddenly you become quite aware there is a deer moving through the area and will be within range soon.

The moment of truth comes and you must make the decision to take this deer's life or not.

Have you made up your mind well before or do you make that all important decision as it presents itself?
You haven't even identified the target animal yet so I certainly would NOT be preparing to shoot.

Is it a Buck or a Doe?

What is the animals AGE?

What are the QDM practices for this property?

If I have learned but one thing over many years of hunting, it is to NEVER rush the shot. I would evaluate the individual animal and then deceide if a shot should be taken. Honestly though, unless it was a specific Doe hunt, I wouldn't even be raising the gun unless he was a 4 1/2+ year old 150" or better buck.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Generally heading into a hunt I know whether I a going to pull the trigger on a doe or not. Bucks all depend on how big they are. Last year though I set and watched a doe under me for about 15 minutes before deciding to shoot her. It was nearing the rut and I wanted to see if a buck was with her, turns out it was just a small 7. Content that nothing else was going to appear, I shot her.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 AM

You haven't even identified the target animal yet so I certainly would NOT be preparing to shoot.
I hunt public land and don't see that many deer each season, so usually first deer I see that I have a good shot at (clear lane under 80 yards broadside not running or under 40 yards and moving or not broad) if it doesn't have spots it's down. Obviously if there are multiple deer, I take the biggest one.

Someday I hope to own my own land or at least co-own it and have the luxury of being picky!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every deer is a possible shooter.You have to be ready as soon as you can. And its not over till the rifle or bow has gone off.Untill then, you can always back out and let him walk.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

Is it a Buck or a Doe?

What is the animals AGE?

What are the QDM practices for this property?

If I have learned but one thing over many years of hunting, it is to NEVER rush the shot. I would evaluate the individual animal and then deceide if a shot should be taken. Honestly though, unless it was a specific Doe hunt, I wouldn't even be raising the gun unless he was a 4 1/2+ year old 150" or better buck.
Maybe I did not make myself clear...In my post, when I said:

"themoment of truth comes and you must make the decision to take this deer's life or not" .....you have identified the target.

That's what this post is all about. Evaluating the individual animal. I never meant to suggest making a decision before that happened..

Based on your final comment about it being a 4 1/2 yr old 150" before you even raised you gun...well, if I were you, I would consider myself very fortunate that you hunt in areas where you have the luxury to make that decision.

I'm not so fortunate...I can hunt an entire week in northern New England and only see a handful a deer. I make my decision before I go into the woods. If I can legally take a doe, I will decide before then if I will. If it's early in the season or if the doe is with a fawn, I will probably let her walk. If it's a small buck, I will probably do the same.

If it's a 3 1/2 yr old 140" I will definitely raise my gun!

Quick Reply: When do you make that decision to shoot or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.