Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting with a .500 S&W

Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting with a .500 S&W

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

I would seriously look into wether of not you can use an inline muzzleloader during the "rifle" season. You'd get much more impressive ballistics and trajectory and a far more impressive maximum range (200+)!

I agree, but I think he already has his mind made up.

One thing that I am kinda "worried" about is your statement "I don't wanna gun that won't make a good blood trail.....".

Any gun/caliber will made a great blood trail. Its not the gun/caliber is the shooter and shot placement.

You can wound just as many deer with this caliber as you can 300mag if you don't know how to shoot.[&o]
Old 07-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, it's not neccessarily the shot placement that makes the blood trail, it's the bullet, a ballistic tip most of the time will leave an entrance wound the size of the bullet diameter, which is small, and will leave no exit wound, since the bullet just shatters in the organs, and deer can run very far, even with excellent shot placement, and ifthe ballistic tip leavesvery littleblood trail, and the deerruns far,thewoundwill clot, and theblood trailwill stop.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:42 AM
Typical Buck

Its a combonation of things. Not just bullet, not just placement. When It comes to shooting a living animal, nothing is written in stone.

As for the BT's, I have used them and have had the opposite exp. as you described. I switched from them b/c they were leaving too big of an exit hole, damaging too much meat.

However, you can take a bad bullet and get good shot placement, such as the hear or lungs and the animal is done for.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

However, you can take a bad bullet and get good shot placement, such as the hear or lungs and the animal is done for.
Deer have been known to run 200 yards with nothing but he upper vena cavae of the heart, why does this happen?
The A-factor, which is, adrenaline, adrenaline can make a deer or person do things they couldn't do in normal circumstances, so, as you said, it's a combination of things, just like the way it's a combination of things that makes getting the animal in a shootable circumstance, so that you can bag it.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

You have studied.

My point is that a bad shot with no matter what caliber is a bad shot and can wound the deer and you not recover it.

The orginal post makes it sound like the guy wants this caliber b/c he thinks since its a "big gun" that it will kill better. Which isn't true.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

As was stated before, the .500 S&W kicks like a single shot .20 ga, and if he can't hit the broad side of a barn with a rifle that kicks that small, he's not got much business firearm hunting, period, but since the guy has hunted with shotguns before, he should be able to hunt with a rifle, so recoil making flinches isn't an issue here.

You said that every gun/caliber will make a goodblood trail, that's nottrue, and you said it's not the gun/shooter, it's shot placement.
Then, you come out later and say,"Its a combonation of things. Not just bullet, not just placement. When It comes to shooting a living animal, nothing is written in stone. "

We weren't doing the ol' "Magnum" debate, it was entirely different.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Let me clear it up....um...lets see.

JUST because the .500 is a "big" caliber, doesn't mean that it will produce and BIG blood trail!!! There we go... thats what I was getting at.

You can take a .22LR and if the bullet hits the heart and makes an exit hole low enough, you SHOULD have a massive blood trail. A good shot will make the animal bleed out before it has time to "clog" up.

In my opinion shot placement is more important that what caliber or bullet styleyou use. The bullet type doesn't have anything to do with it (IMO). A blood trail is made by the bullet causing internal bleeding which the blood is then released by the exit hole. The bullet, now matter what caliber or type CAN'T do its job if its doesn't hit the target.

My statement about "its a combo of things" was for the most part b/c I didn't feel like you coming back and me having to do this and so on.....to be honest with you.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

OH yeah...before you come back wanting to argue etichs... I would never shoot a deer with a .22LR it was just a hypothetical situation.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

The .500 is over rated. If I wee you id look into getting a .460, its a better balanced gun than the .500 and wont knock out your teeth when you shoot it.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .500 S&W is a handgun cartridge.Fired from a rifle chambered for this,the recoil will be manageable.I'm sure there's better rifle chamberings on that list than the .500 Smith for deer hunting--JMHO

Quick Reply: Hunting with a .500 S&W

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.