Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Pet Peeves

Old 07-05-2007, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Pet Peeves

another pet peeve of mine is hunters who walk to their stands after daylight. i just don't get it, i guess some people are scared of the dark. i'm usially in my stand atleast 45 minutes before daybreak. this gives the area time to calm back down after walking threw it.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing pisses me off more than see garbage left out in the bush...
I'm not going topoint my fingers hunters on this one, it could be anybody
After that its the people that use their rifle scopesas binoculars..

Old 07-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

another pet peeve of mine is hunters who walk to their stands after daylight. i just don't get it, i guess some people are scared of the dark. i'm usially in my stand atleast 45 minutes before daybreak. this gives the area time to calm back down after walking threw it.

Why would you care about this..
What do you mean you don't get it...
I can think of lots of reasons.....
Maybe they got a flat tire on the way out,
Maybe the guy or gal pulled a 15 hour grave-yard shift and went out hunting afterwords..
Maybe their kids changed their minds and now want to come....
Maybe they had to drive by to pick up their 80yr old father or Grand father who is as fast at getting around as he once did..
People that show up later are just as dedicated to hunting as any body who showes up 45 min before light..
Hunters who show up late for these reasons I mentioned are way way more dedicated than the hunter who couldn't bebothered because it was too late in the day to go.....

Old 07-05-2007, 07:21 AM

Oh man, I'm with Jeff on the trash thing. Move that one to the top of my list. That is one of the reasons I get for not being able to hunt someones land. They used to let someone do it, but they trashed the place and couldn't follow the rules so the owner just doesn't want to be bothered by it anymore.

How hard is is to leave the place the same as was when you went in. Your a hunter for crying out loud why would you trash the land?

Littering is huge pet peeve of mine anyway. Smokers especially piss me off. The world is their ashtray, just throw butts where ever you want, it's ok, really. I swear if one more lit butt hits my windshield I may run someone off the road.

Oops, sorry guys rant over now. I think maybe I've had a bit too much caffeine the past few days.

Paul
Old 07-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

My biggest pet peeve is like someone said, "Garbage". I can't stand being in the woods and seeing litter everwhere. I was always taught "what ever you bring in, you bring out, including any spent rounds". Number 2 would be hunters who insist on moving around during daylight hours and doing it very loud. I had two hunters do this and came with in 20 yards of me on public land. One was whistling and the other was kicking leafs everywhere. I had been set up long before first light. Now I know it's public land but where is the common courtesy?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Banned

My pet peeves:

1) I hate poachers. I've had several guys brag to me about how they have killed 15-20 in a season. I always tell them that they are pathetic. I'm sure most of them are lying, but if I ever catch them poaching, I'll turn them in.

2) The so-called "elite" hunters. It's great that you just shoot 160 class bucks, but I can't do that. I don't see that many deer and my family does not buy beef, we eat strictly deer meat. And sometimes a 2 yr old 4 point is the only deer I will see in several weeks, so I'm shooting it. Trust me, I would prefer to shoot a nice buck, but I've never seen a buck that big in my life. (I only seen 12 deer last year. I hunted every weekend and also took 2 weeks off from work and hunted everyday during that period.)

3) TRASH in the woods

4) Hunters making drives on public land at 8 in the morning.

5) Guys buying all of the best equipment and having the best places to hunt and only hunting one morning the entire season. (I guess that is just me being jealous, but it drives me crazy!)
Old 07-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm....

1) People tresspassing on my land/leases,
2) People running their dogs on my land/leases to run deer on to their land because they have shot and otherwise scared every deer off of their land,
3) My BIL's younger brother who hunts on our leases without paying a dime and shoots anything that moves off of areas that I hunt, and no one else in our group is suppossed to(I hope I have that one solved this year),
4) Having to wear blaze orange during part of the early bow season because of muzzleloading season.....I hunt private land, and nobody in our group hunts with muzzleloaders,
5) Hearing a caravan pull in just on the other side of our lease line, with people hooping and hollerin' on the first day of gun season (see 1 & 2 above).

I'll stop now before I get mad.[:@]

Old 07-05-2007, 11:05 AM

my biggest pet peeve is when some other hunter(s) come stolling in by your stand while your there. They see you and think it an invitation to come strolling up for a chat.......then they say......see any nice deer. Ya buddy a few 8points kicking around maybe you should pull up a chair.....
bunch of dumb@$$$

Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NBDeerHunter

my biggest pet peeve is when some other hunter(s) come stolling in by your stand while your there. They see you and think it an invitation to come strolling up for a chat.......then they say......see any nice deer. Ya buddy a few 8points kicking around maybe you should pull up a chair.....
bunch of dumb@$$$
This and garbage. Grrrrrrrr. Not sure it was a good idea for me to read this post. I may get a little road rage on the way home from work tonight!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Wow, 40 lbs and still sucking on momma after a year. I'm glad I don't hunt were you do. More like 140 lbs where live.

I don't think anyone said anything about shooting fawns, but rather deer with small racks.

Then again, the spots would give you something to aim at.

Paul
I was talking about after after cutting up the deer someone gets 40lbs of meat. Yes and some shoot yearlings. You quoted that in one of your post. Thats just a pet peeve of mine. But to each his own. That doesnt mean I have to like it. Yeah and I agree the trash thing is a pet peeve as well.

Quick Reply: Hunting Pet Peeves

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.