Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Pet Peeves

Old 07-04-2007, 02:42 PM

Default RE: Hunting Pet Peeves

I have tried shooting at those distances, it's not as easy you might think. And in some places that might be the closest shot you get at a deer. And it will take a whole day of hiking and climbing (if not more) to get it.

My biggest pet peeves about hunting are probably these:

1.) People that are overly PC about hunting. It's hunting, we kill things for sport. If you have a problem getting over that concept you might want to think about getting a new hobby. Maybe wild life photography or something.

2.) Slob hunters. By this I mean guys that don't even make an effort to practice with their equipment be it gun or bow. They don't bother finding a load their gun likes or even checking to see how it shoots before the season starts. They just pull it out of the case that has been hiding in a closet all year and head out to the woods. Then throw a fit because they miss or wound an animal.

3.) And my third pet peeve is bow hunters that think all bow hunters are better than any gun hunter simply because they use a bow. What a load of crap! I see more lazy slob hunters using bows than I do with guns most of the time. At least with a gun you can get away with a little less practice. I have shot with too many people that can't hit a 2 foot by 2 foot target at 20 yards in a back yard, let alone put one in the vitals of a deer with a broad head out of a tree stand.

I see so many people that have no clue or education of deer anatomy or proper shot placement it makes me crazy. This would be with gun or bow as well.

4.) And lastly I'm not overly fond of people that trespass, sit in your stand, swipe your stuff or ride their 4 wheelers around messing up my hunt. I'm not overly fond of ATV's in general during hunting season. I understand in some places you need them, but not where I live. It just makes you lazy in my opinion.

Paul

Old 07-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Too many to list, but I will write a few.

-People who say they "meat hunt" but let doe after doe walk by just to shoot a 2yr old 4pt.

-Guys that empty their gun at a running deer.

-Hunters sighting their guns in the day before season.

-Hearing shots before or after legal light.

-Killing just to kill.

-Dudes blaming coyotes for every dead animal they find.

-Hunters hating coyotes for doing the same thing hunters themselves are doing (hunting).

-Hunters who have their wife, child or someone else tag there kill so that they can keep on hunting. (where it's not legal). I thinkIdislike this the most, In fact,I hate this with a passion.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

1. Hunters who shoot a deer and call it a PIG. Its a deer not a PIG.
2. Hunters who shoot up the woods.
3. Like others have said someone walking or standing 50 yards away from my stand.
4. Hunters who take yearlings or small inmature bucks.
5. Poachers or party hunters or hunters who have their wife or child tag there kill.
6. Quad runners where the driver drives like an idiot.
This list could go on for awhile... I'll end it here...
Old 07-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

my pet peeves:
1. hunters who sit your stand without permission (on private property) and smoke in it AND leave a bottle of piss in your stand.
2. the same hunter who tells you that he didnt shoot any deer and there are 7 30-06 shells in your stand, and all of they sudden, 5 regular does and 2 fawns disappear.
3. the same hunter who thinks he has the right to hunt your stand because he put out 1 BAG OF CORN, and you've put out over $300 dollars worth of corn and 3 days of time working on your food plot combined with the money for the food plot.
4. the same hunter who shoots all of the deer which you let walk.
5. the same hunter who drives up on your stand while you are hunting.
6. the same hunter who POINTS A GUN AT YOUR FRIEND BECAUSE YOU LET HIM HUNT THERE AND TELLS HIM THAT HE HAS NO RIGHT ON THE PROPERTY. my grandfather and uncle told me never to point a gun at someone. i did on accident when i was 7, and i couldnt sit down for a week. but when pet peeves did it, all they said was "well, it wasnt loaded."
7. the same hunter that tells you hes managing the property by dumping furniture andscrap metal and trash out right beside your stand.
8. the same hunter that left your stand with a pile of cigarette butts in them.
9. the same hunter who drives his truck up to his/your stand and hunts with it right under him.
10. the same hunter who shoots great blue herons at your pond because "they'll eat all of the fish"
11. the hunter who tells you not to shoot does from your own stand. (hello!!! managing the doe population is vital for bigger bucks!!!)

i hate this guy. i hope he dies.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

hmmmm i kinda want to hear more about this "guy"
Old 07-04-2007, 08:24 PM

-People who say they "meat hunt" but let doe after doe walk by just to shoot a 2yr old 4pt.

Hunters who take yearlings or small immature bucks.
Why? Isn't a two year old 4 pt meat? Last time I checked there wasn't an age restriction on my deer tag. Maybe I don't have a doe tag. Maybe I don't want to shoot does. They are easier to drag with handles on them any way.

I have a new pet peeve. Hunters that think everyone else should be a trophy hunter. Or that the deer they shoot is "better" than the ones someone else shoots because it's older or has a bigger rack. I personally don't think old mature deer taste very good. How about I save them for someone that really wants them.

I'm in it to shoot deer, not watch them walk by. Its population control and they are tasty to boot. I figure the state doesn't issue tags for me to not kill deer. If you want to sit and watch deer go by until you see the perfect one that will look good on your wall or get you in some book feel free.

Your personal goal is YOUR personal goal, don't hate on someone else because they don't follow it.

My opinion any way.

Paul

Old 07-04-2007, 08:32 PM
bigcountry

I guess my pet peeves are

1.) Deer drives on public property
2.) Baiting
3.) Slob hunters that will not even scout land, but just follow someone elses reflectors
4.) Slob hunters that when they see a flash light will still keep coming and setup 30yards away from you
5.) New hunters with semi autos and letting all rounds go on a deer. With me in the woods with them.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Your personal goal is YOUR personal goal, don't hate on someone else because they don't follow it.

Thats right its your personal goal, butYOUR goal may not be how others see it. To each his own. Shooting yearlings and small inmature bucks isnt a goal of mine. I would rather shoot something that has more than 40lbs of meat on it or has milk dripping from its mouth.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

im not going to say who it is; he might be registered on my website and want to end me.

but i can say my grandfather, and both aunts own property; about 250 acres. this guy is just ignorant.

some other ignorant things this guy has done:
1. he shot a spike on my grandfathers property. we dont harvest immature deer on our property. he tried to SELL the meat TO MY GRANDFATHER! HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE?!? PLUS, SELLING GAME IS ILLEGAL!
2. My uncle doesnt hunt, yet he tells my uncle that he will "only charge you $5 an hour to hunt his stand" which is on OUR property.
3. my sister's boyfriend shot at a doe and missed. we searched until about 1 am, and decided to call it quits. we began walking back the direction that we came from, when he says "where are ya goin, the trucks the other way. Ya know what... here... everybody turn off your light." so we turned it off. he points his spotlight in a random direction and says, "its this way." What the hell? We followed him and got lost for 2 hours.He obviously had no idea what he was doing. Me and my sisters boyfriend headed back the other way, and he followed.He said when we got out of the woods, "my daddy always told me that if you shut you're light off and point it somewhere, following that direction will get you somewhere."
4. remember when he pointed the gun at my friend and told him he had no right on the property? as a result he got all pissy with me and told me that i need to call HIM whenever i come to MY stand so this wont happen.

I'm gonna tell this guy straight up that he will not hunt my stand anymore. im puttin a trailcam on my stand to see if he is.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:50 PM

Wow, 40 lbs and still sucking on momma after a year. I'm glad I don't hunt were you do. More like 140 lbs where live.

I don't think anyone said anything about shooting fawns, but rather deer with small racks.

Then again, the spots would give you something to aim at.

Paul

Quick Reply: Hunting Pet Peeves

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.