Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bear Proof Feeder?

Old 07-01-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Bear Proof Feeder?

Would a tripod feeder with 2" metal poles and winch be safefrom bears if the poles are long enough to cement a couple feet under ground and keep the bottom of the automatic feeder about 9' 10' off the ground? The bears in my area are Florida Black Bears.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Spike

Default RE: Bear Proof Feeder?

I don't know for sure, but if the bear is determined enough that might only slow it down.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know if they will be able to climb to the spinner on the feeder, but afterone gnawed through a rope and brought down my feeder, they snapped off the legs and spinner. This was a game country 55 gallon feeder. Be sure that your legs are thicker. Or use a cable and pulley on a branch thatis about 20' or higher off the ground, and use the winch on your ATV to pull it up. You should then wrap razor wire around the tree base to keep them from going up after it.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:05 PM

I doubt there is such a thing as a bear proof feeder. But on mine I have steel rods buried in concrete 2 feet and the joints welded. More for theft deterent since we don't have many bears in missouri.
http://www.bbkhs.com/feeders.html

Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think there is such a thing. If there is food in it they want, there'll likely be some bears that figure out how to reach it and break into it.
My folks had a black bear take an exterior door off the hinges to get into a porch that had a cooler of some meat in it.
People I know who used to guide in the Boundry Waters Canoe Wilderness Area used to string food Duluth pack between trees 20' into the air. That worked pretty good, until the bears figure out to climb 30' up one of the trees and jump out landing on the pack and tearing it down. They're very smart and inventive from what I've seen and heard.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish feeders were legal in Wi.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Feeders are illegal? It is illegal in missourito hunt over a baited area during the season. I feed year round. I just don't hunt near the feeder. But you are saying a state makes it illegal to own a feeder?
Old 09-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Spike

Default There is a game proof auto feeder out there!

Originally Posted by MinnFinn
I don't think there is such a thing. If there is food in it they want, there'll likely be some bears that figure out how to reach it and break into it.
My folks had a black bear take an exterior door off the hinges to get into a porch that had a cooler of some meat in it.
People I know who used to guide in the Boundry Waters Canoe Wilderness Area used to string food Duluth pack between trees 20' into the air. That worked pretty good, until the bears figure out to climb 30' up one of the trees and jump out landing on the pack and tearing it down. They're very smart and inventive from what I've seen and heard.
It is a beefed up quad pod feeder. Everything is caged up. They have scratched all the paint off of the feeder, but, a year later, feeding 24-7, it is the only feeder standing. You don't like where it is at, pull the stakes up and move it like you would any other barrel feeder. Holds 350 lb. of corn.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:17 PM
Banned

If a bear detects food, I doubt there is anything you can do to prevent it from getting to the food if other animals can get the food.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's certainly worth a try PCDAVE, bears are like humans some are more resilient than others. But they can sure be destructive, i've been bear hunting with my boy this week and, they've been leaving my blind alone until last night one messed it up, carried it off a good ways.

Quick Reply: Bear Proof Feeder?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.