Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Magellan GPS 310

Old 12-25-2002, 04:27 PM

Default Magellan GPS 310

I would like to know how is the easiest way to make this thing functuion correctly from point a to point b .I have one hell of a time making this work .ive read the instructions over and over, to the point i have a major headache . whats the easiest way to use this GPS (landmarks and go to points). any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Magellan GPS 310

At some point I want to get one of the better units to use with my work, but at this point I am not very familiar with how they work. I would call your county forester, a local timber company or a consultant forester and see if they know someone that will give you a crash course. I know several foresters in my area that use them.

Old 01-11-2003, 12:08 AM

I bought a 310, 2 years ago. What a piece of junk.It seems that a lot of people are having problems with the 310. I know of 4 guys that wont take them in the bush. The 315 is 1000x better.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sorry I don't have any specific experience with the 310 model you are having problems with, but since you live in California you are fairly close to Magellan. They are usually very easy to work with and will give you help with a specific problem either via email or on the phone. I called them about 10 years ago with a problem with the datums in a unit I was using overseas and they were able to help over the phone. I gave an older unit I had to a friend, he called Magellan to ask about getting it upgraded to the latest version of software and they ended up just sending him a new one. My point is, if you are having a specific problem, and they are aware of it, they will usually bend over backwards to help out. Hunter40, if the unit you have is in fact a piece of junk, call or email them and see what they can or might do for you.
I have been using GPS in my work (Radio Engineering) for at least 12 years, the first units we bought cost about $5K, units with better capability are available today for about $100.00
Timbercruiser, in your work, if your handle is an indication of what you do, I suggest a unit with an external antenna (available as an add on feature)to avoid some of the problems encountered with use of GPS in heavy canopy and in cities.
It seems that lately I have spent about half of my time answering questions from my co-workers and contractors on using GPS and the accuracy of them under field conditions. My best advice, in a short form, is to get one from whichever manufacturer you prefer, and practice with it until you are comfortable with the performance of the unit and yourself. Remember, a GPS is just a tool, and not some magic box that provides all of the answers. Get and use the USGS 7.5 minute maps for the area you are going into and compare what you see with the information from the GPS and never ever, ever depend on just an instrument to tell you where (exactly) you are.
BTW, my current favorite handheld GPS is a Garmin 12XL. I have used many and this one is the one I own personally at this time.

Coastie
"Children are tastier than Dogs or Goats and they're far easier for a Leopard to catch" Indian Magistrate Hari Prasad Tivari
Old 01-11-2003, 07:13 PM

I'm not sure either, but I hope my Garmin Vista comes Monday. From what I've been reading on the net about GPS, the military has a built-in "lack-of-accuracy" in the system. I don't know. I just want to download topo maps and head for the woods!
Old 01-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

gutpyle, I would like to add to what coastie said. I've had my Garmin e-trex for about three years now. When I got it,,,I fiddled around with it for a few days and then left it on a shelf for about six months or so. I was really disappointed, and came to the conclusion that it was a piece of junk.

Then one day out of the blue, I met someone who had "more than average" familiarity with GPS's in general, and was willing to take the time to show me how to use it.

About five hours later I was reasonably well versed in most of it's uses...I have not looked back since. I now have 1;24,000 topo maps of all the areas I go to, several grid protractors, extra batteries and a pocket always reserved to put it all in when I go out.

I also have taken the time to become proficient with a compass...More than just simply the four directions.

In fact, to take it one step further, I now know how to determine directions using a stick,a rock, the sun, and a shadow.

My point is this...I have never met anyone who can simply go out and buy a GPS and become proficient with it...It's kind of like the computers that we are all using here. Somewhere, sometime, someone sat next to you and gave you a little "direction".

GPS's are the same way. Find someone who can really use one for more than it's most simplist functions, and spend a little time learning from them...Thats how you will learn.

One final thought...Excluding the very earlyest of models,,,They all perform the same basic functions...Kind of like trucks...Some look better than others,,,but they all do the same thing.

Good luck.

Old 01-12-2003, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jetblast, the built in "lack of accuracy" is known as "SA" (Selective Availability) and was turned off about 18 months ago. Even with SA turned on, a normal GPS could position you within a reasonable proximity of where you wanted to go. There is a web site maintained by the USGS and USCG that will tell you if SA is enabled or not. I do not have it bookmarked and am too lazy at the moment to go find it so you will have to do a web search on your own (sorry). This site will also tell you the status of the various satellites in the constellation and allow you to determine the absolute best times for the most accurate positions in your area.

Coastie
"Children are tastier than Dogs or Goats and they're far easier for a Leopard to catch" Indian Magistrate Hari Prasad Tivari
Old 01-12-2003, 03:39 PM

Thanks Coastie for the info. I'm new at this stuff so excuse my lack of knowledge. Google.com is a wonderful thing!
Old 01-13-2003, 07:35 AM

I have a Magellan 310 and I really like it. To get from point to point, you can set up a "route" (which is useful for several point-to-point trips taken in succession) or simply use the "GOTO" function. The only thing I don't like so much is how darn creative you've got to be in naming spots (you get 4-5 characters, I think) so that you can distinguish them without your own printed index. After that, the 310 is just a bare-bones, simple GPS. Just the way I like 'em.

Nate
Old 01-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Coastie, the few GPS units I have looked at state in their literature that the accuracy is about 30 feet. What is the actual accuracy you have with the Garmin 12XL? 30 feet is not close enough for me when working with landlines.

Quick Reply: Magellan GPS 310

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.