Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Magellan GPS 310

Old 01-13-2003, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magellan GPS 310

Timbercruiser, with a handheld and relying on input in the field,none of them are going to get much closer than 30 feet. The 12XL claims +/- 15 meters which is about 49 feet. There is a system you can subscribe to that will correct the readings taken in the field after you get back to the office that will give you very accurate measurements (+/- 1 meter). If you are doing this all of the time, it might be worth the investment to get one of the surveying (differential GPS) quality systems that get you to within a centimeter or so. The surveyors on large jobs use these with great success but they are quite expensive. Check out Trimble and Ashtech.

Coastie
"Children are tastier than Dogs or Goats and they're far easier for a Leopard to catch" Indian Magistrate Hari Prasad Tivari

Edited by - Coastie on 01/13/2003 10:42:41
Old 01-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magellan GPS 310

I've got a 310.
Bought it used off of a co-worker about a year ago.

It IS bare bones, but it definitely works just fine.
It doesn't do maps, but you can mark points as you hike around, or enter them by using their coordinates, and them find your way to them later.

I haven't played much with the routes, but they would be useful when it's impossible or inconvinient to hike directly to a given place using the GOTO function.

Do you know how to record a location in the field using the MARK button?
Do you understand how to use the GOTO function?
These 2 are the most basic and are all I've ever needed.

I take mine with on almost every hunting trip.
I really only use it to get myself back to the same spot once I find a place I like. I'll mark stuff as I wander around scouting in the off season, and then use the GPS to find my way back to the car and get back to those interesting spots on later trips.

Email me if you want to talk.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.