Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting logs

Old 06-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer hunting logs

A number of years back I started to log as much information on every deer hunt. The area I hunt is huge (about 30 sq. miles), so over the last 20 years, (I wish I would have started the logs 10 years before but too young and excited),I have compiled numerous notepads of time, temp, atmospheric conditions, dates, deer movement, moon phases, dates,etc. It is at this time of year that I start reviewing all the info again trying to come to a determining where to put up new stands, change stand position, where I'm going to focus this year, etc. (It's a tough job but some one has to do it).As I look at thevast information before me (very cool cause it helps to remember every hunt), it's amazing the little things that you don't remember. The best advice I could give to young hunters is to startcompiling all the information you can from the start. Now that I will have both my sons hunting with me (as well as an old hunting buddy and his daughter)(one son and friend's daughter first year), this fall this information is invaluable forI setting up a couple of young people in spots I just know that they will see deer. I think that's so important to keep the interest up and hook them for life. Even though I live for deer seasons I know that I'm even more excited for them.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:56 AM

Default RE: Deer hunting logs

I found that deer hunting logs are about as reliable as keeping track of my check book.

Just when I thought that I had done a good job, I make a mistake and have to spend a week looking where did that $19.49 go.

Since I hunt in 3 different counties and 10 different places, there is no chance to duplicate my success.

Whats the chances of shooting a 10 point buck out the window two years in a row.. J/k
Old 06-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer hunting logs

Well Rifleman that depends...Which window???

I used to hunt a farm that had an old barn that has since been torn down and I killed quite a few nice bucks "out the window"...I put me a chair up there and had a rest across a couple of bales of hay, made for an enjoyable afternoon.