Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Button bucks

Old 12-22-2002, 11:19 AM

Default RE: Button bucks

Seems like i need to practice on judging them. Ive killed 3 button bucks this year while i was aimin for 3 relatively good sized does. Its a lil harder when the does get just as big as the bucks with tha average doe size is about 70-85 lbs an the avg. buck weighes from 90-110

Don't shoot...he wont make tha books...
Why track em...put em in their tracks!
Old 12-22-2002, 11:40 PM

A good rule of thumb is to never shoot an anterless deer that's traveling by itself unless you have a really good look at it's head through a scope or binos and are sure it's not a buttonhead. A lot of solo anterless deer are button bucks because they have been run off by mama as the rut hits, they're wandering around solo until they can hook up with some other group. I prefer to shoot does that are traveling with fawns, then there's no doubt that I'm shooting a mature doe.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:17 AM

The Little Button I shot was with it's twin sister I suppose. I seEn Momma Doe and 2 Fawns the day before, and drew doen on the big Doe, but just had a tooobscured shot, so I waited and got a shot at one the following day.

It aint Braggin if you back it up...
Old 12-23-2002, 08:50 AM

its a very common mistake for people to shoot a button buck thinking it was just a descent sized doe. When you see them together side by side its easy to tell whos the momma and whos the son....but when you dont have the luxury of seeing them next to one another that button often looks abit bigger than he really is. Thats where their stocky appearance comes into play...it fools ya into thinking he's a 100+ lb deer when hes really only 70-80 lb

** I almost got him but I refuse to take a marginal shot **
Old 12-23-2002, 02:00 PM

My advice is to shoot only long nosed deer who are not traveling alone.