Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

3 buck limit in Alabama

Old 05-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3 buck limit in Alabama

That's absolutely awesome news for AL sportsman! More and more hunters down there need to be FAR more concerned with shooting large numbers over over-populated Anlterless animals than any bucks! I hope this is just the begining of a wonderful hunting future for Alabama. It's still somewhat sad that will allow you to shoot 2 Yearling bucks though??? I hope that more serious hunters will just concentrate on that one older buck and not the lower end immature bucks just to fill tags. Let's see that sex ratio tightened up considerably for the benefit of herd and hunter. Good luck and good huntin'
Old 05-27-2007, 07:45 AM

Hmmm..... I didn't think it was only one per season, of course, I do hunt in unit L, so we can shoot does every day if we want, but yeah, you're right there's the statewide limit of 3 bucks, excpet in unit B, right? I think unit B was only 2 bucks.

I didn't know about one per season, I just never saw that on the website, is that a new thing? Or has it been around? I haven't been on he TWRA website since February or March, which might be a reason for my not knowing.
What I meant is that 1 per each opening of that season like the first and second bow season. The first and second muzzleloader season. But it might be 2 during the 2 rifle seasons. not exceeding 3 per year. and I also believe it is just 2 bucks in unit B. What counties do you hunt. Me I hunt in Carroll, Henry, And weakley counties. I have about a total of 1400 acres. 100 acres in Carroll, 1200 acres in henry. and 100 Weakley
Old 05-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have a 2 buck per season limit here in Illinois regardless of weapon choice, I wouldn't mind if it were only ONE as long as Antlerless-Only tags were left unlimited and over-the-counter.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:45 AM

I wish it was that way in with the bucks in TN . Because we went so many years with being able to kill only 4 bucks during all those seasons. at the endofall the seasons aman could have killed 30 something bucks. and maybe 2 does all deer season. Now you can only kill the 3 bucks all year for the past 5 or 6yrs and startin to see really nice big muture bucks. Our doe to buck ratio here in Northwest TN or unit Lis so out of wack. That know you can kill 3 does per day if you purchase a $21 permit or carry your sportsmen license. So if you want to come shoot some does like a dove shoot let me know. We killed 6 in fifteen minutes the last day of season last year for meatafter we were throughnot taking any big buck.I have seen as many as 40 does in the field at one time. Without a buck

Old 05-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

The part that doesn't make sense is that although there has been a limit of close to 200 deer (half of which can be a buck) for years the population continues to grow. And it isn't only a overpopulation of does, it is an overpopulation of does AND bucks. A Feb. season for does only, after they are bred and after the fawns are big enough to fend for themselves seems to be a more logical solution. In addition leave the rest of the limits and season as is. There are probably some areas of Bama that don't have the high population, but a lot of thestate has too many deer and its growing.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:58 PM

I kind of wish Nebraska would have tag restrictions, only a certain number per person, and bucks with no less than a given number of points, people around here don't realize that to get a big buck you have to stop shooting the little ones. One person at my school shot a 2x2. I have only seen one 5x5 and six of the points were barely an inch long. If they would have let it go that would have been a very nice buck in the year to come. Sadely that is the biggest whiitetail I seen harvested this past season.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

timbercruiser,

unless you have many sportsman who become dedicated to filling aLOT of Doe tags, the problem will continue. You see it all the time here as well, a guy would rather pass up 20 Does that have feed into a food plot while he waits for the ear tip to ear tip wide, 2 1/2 year old buck to step out.... as much against QDM as it is,... it still goes on for many thousands every season! [:'(]

The Does MUST be shot and the immature bucks MUST be passed and allowed to live. You'll be shocked to see what an impressive difference this will have on your areas herd once it is implemented properly. Best of luck to all you AL sportsmen this Fall.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TN Deer Hunter

So if you want to come shoot some does like a dove shoot let me know. We killed 6 in fifteen minutes the last day of season last year for meatafter we were throughnot taking any big buck.I have seen as many as 40 does in the field at one time. Without a buck
Oh me, me, meeeeeee!!! I'm grabbing the T/C Encore and heading down!I'd love the chance to fill some tags, bring home some venison and practice QDM! See ya this Fall,.... buddy! I only have a muzzleloader barrel for it, should I buy a 7mm barrel also?

WOW, all kidding aside, those are some serious Antlerless numbers! Hopefully in time some of those numbers will be put back in check. It sounds like you guys aren't afraid to sill some tags though so that good. Keep up the work.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm well Southeast of you, I hunt Lincoln County, it is in Unit L, but I think it's inthe Central Basin, perhaps maybe bordering the Western Highland Rim, but I sorta doubt it, we have 100 acres in Lincoln County, not much at all, but last year there was 22 deer killed there, and I didn't hunt that year, and this fall will be my first year deer hunting.

I already tagged a turkey on the lease we have, in fact, all 3 of us who went on the opening day hunt shot one, I shot a jake, my uncle shot a bearded hen, and our hunting buddy shot a gobbler.

My uncle later nailed one, and altogether, 6 turkeys were killed on that lease this year, and we've seen plenty more.

We do hope to get more land from the landowner, when there's some left,'cause the guy has 550 acres or so, but 200 acres of land is being paid for by some 90 year old woman so that her sons can hunt there, and they don't, heck, they practically never go to the property, but who knows, maybe our lease will grow? Only time will tell, but we're all very content with the lease we have, it's just such a great area, and location.

About seeing all those does, I don't think we have it like that here, sure we have plenty of deer, but I don't know about that kind of a ratio.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:48 AM

I would kill more does but don't have room for the meat and people will say they want and you go to shoot them one the change there mind. but you more than welcom to come and shoot as many as you like

Quick Reply: 3 buck limit in Alabama

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.