Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Remington model 710 for 1st deer rifle?

Old 05-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington model 710 for 1st deer rifle?

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

rem 700 BDL, great reliable gun that holds its value pretty well and looks sharp while keeping that classic look with the walnut stock. wouldnt trade mine for any rifle seeing as how its my first deer rifle.

i dont agree with the NO 243 or your a pansy statement though. some people would just prefer shooting 243, i can take a 243 and kill any deer within 200 yards, it has the power to do so. my dad hunted with one until he was 40 and then it was stolen. caliber when it comes to whitetail deer is all personal preference, because we arent trying to take down a moose, deer are a relatively small bodied big game animal.

I agree...if you like a .243 then shoot one.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:00 PM

i am thinking about buying either a remington 270 or a savage 111 both come with scopes and the remington is on sale for 299 with 30 dollar rebate so i can get it for269 or the savage is 369 which one should i buy????????
Old 08-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

Whichever one feels the best on your shoulder.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM

The caliber should be whatever he is comfortable with. The rifle should be the one that fits him best. I will not consider a Remington of any kind until their quality improves. Value rifles that I've had some dealings with are the Savage/Stevens and the Mossberg. Both seem to be well built pieces. Get him handling different rifles if you can.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here we go with the "puny calibers mean you're a pansy" talk..... Not worth my electrons.

How about we bring this back to the original question? The Remington 710?

Clearly marketed as a "budget package", which I'd avoid in any manufacturer's garb. The glass on these package deals usually isn't the best, and is likely to fail (fog) you when you least want it to. There are lots of decent "economy-priced" rifles out there, seems the Stevens and Savage are very popular lately. The Remington 710 has been replaced with something else, so not something I'd actively pursue. I swear by the Model 700s though. Do yourself a favor though and get yourself a good quality (which doesn't necessarily mean "high-powered") scope, though. My rule of thumb is spend the same on the optics as you do the rifle - or as close to it as you can afford.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:45 PM

I dare say that a lot of hunters drop a lot of deer using cheap rifles and cheap scopes, but they may lose a lot of deer, too.

My personal beliefis that for most typical hunting situations, just about any modern production rifle will do. (How did our ancestors kill so many deer without magnum calibers, thousand-dollar scopes, etc. etc.?)

That being said, what I've seen of the Remington 710 has left me completely unimpressed. There's a difference between economical and cheap, and the 710 just strikes me as cheap.

I hunt with a Savage 110 in .30-06. It cost me $400, and I just love it. It's accurate, reliable, sturdy, cheap, and just plain delivers for me.

As for caliber, all this "too much/too little" stuff is a bore, in more ways than one. Today's loads are so varied that the choices are nearly unlimited. I went with a .30-06 because I can use light loads (Remington's Managed Recoil) for small deer, all the way up to big honking loads for big pigs, and everything in-between.

But hey, it's your money. If you can't resist a low price, buy the 710.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:02 PM

Get what you want. It's you that'll be a packin' it. I've shot one before. It was accurate. Listen to your heart.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:33 PM

THANX FOR THE OPINIONS I THINK ILL GO WITH THE SAVAGE.......IS THE ACCUTRIGGER WORTH ANOTHER 80 DOLLARS??????
Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the majority in regards to lacking of the 710 model. I personally would opt for something else. Though I must say the couple 710's I have shot didn't suffer much on paper, they are plenty accurate for hunting purposes.

As to the accutrigger worth the extra, yes if youlike thefeel of the AT. I personally dislike the feel of the lawyer bar in the middle of the trigger and would rather have a standard trigger re-worked or use the $80 bucks towardsa replacement trigger. My partner is the exact opposite he loves the AT and just bought 2 new Savages with AT because of it alone. It seems to be a love it or hate it affair. It appears those who are use to a re-worked or aftermarket trigger do not care forthe ATas much as those who have settled for the trigger pull as shipped from the factory with other rifles.

The AT itself is a pretty smooth and clean for an out of the box trigger. The concept of a safe self adjusting trigger is a good one as well, so it has merits just boils down to personal preferences. The non AT savages i have handled over the years were not that great out of the box,they can be cleaned up by a good gunsmiththough Cost for such work varies but should be less then the AT upcharge. I suggest doing some touchy feely and then go with whichever feels best to you. Good Luck
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 AM

I dont know what a lot of people are talking about. Ive been shooting the Remington Model 710 for years now. I have it in the .270 caliber, and Ive shot a lot of deer with it. Its a straight shooting gun, and it doest break like some people said, and yes, they still do make it. Its a great gun, and I love it. But its all about personal preference as well.

Quick Reply: Remington model 710 for 1st deer rifle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.