Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

asking permission to hunt

Old 05-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: asking permission to hunt

Two weeks ago! haha But seriously now....
Old 05-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been struggling with this because I would like to hunt some private land in Montana that I hunted with my dad 20 years ago when I was back in high school. The guy owns about 4,000 acres mixed in with about 26,000 acres of public land. My dad always did the asking back then but things have changed a lot in 20 years.

I'm going to write the guy a letter introducing myself and then following that up with a phone call in a couple weeks. Pretty hard to stop by in person or help him mend his fences when I'm 1,200 miles away.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

npaden...........

Correct me if I'm wrong - but aren't you usually pretty negative in response to things on this site?

Old 05-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle Matt - correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you usually jump into things and post without really reading everything through.

I have posted that I don't understand why many hunters on this site attack other hunters for little or no reason. Maybe like you seem to be doing now?

Karma?

Even if I was negative about this site what does that have to do with the fact that I plan on asking someone permission to hunt their land?

Old 05-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Currently I have permission to hunt more than 600 acres of posted property on 4 different farms. I've come up with my own contract between me and the land owner and go over it with them in person. I pledge to "never" be on their property with anything other than my feet. No ATV's, cycles, trucks etc... One of them ask me to call and leave a message telling him when I'll be on the property so he knows I'm there and all of them have a particular area they have me park so when they see my car there they know it's me. Right now I'm the "only" person that has gotten permission to hunt two of the farms and the landowners wife is dead against hunting but says it's OK if it's me and my son. If you do it right you can hunt more property than one might think. [align=right]
[/align]
Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thought I would update this thread. I ended up writing the landowner a letter asking for permission and telling him that I grew up in Montana and had hunted his property years ago with my dad. Then I called and got an answering machine and left a message. Then I called a couple more times over a two or three week period and got the answering machine each time and didn't leave a message.

Got a call this morning long distance from the landowner. He said he had no problem with me hunting on his land. I thanked him and we chatted for a couple minutes and he said there were a lot of deer around this year. I told him that I had a little bit of land down here and if he ever wanted to dove hunt or hunt wild pigs that he was more than welcome to hunt on my land butit didn'tsound like he was planning on taking me up on the offer.

I'm pretty excited. I'm going to buy him a gift certificate at one of the local restraunts when I'm up there as a thank you and send him a thank you card with the gift certificate after I get back whetherI get a deer or not.

I'll be there on opening day!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:50 PM

Sounds like you did it right. As I reasd through the various threads I was going to suggest an offer to share the harvest, which is still a good idea in addition to the gift card. I have an uncle who has a small lake that gets fished by almost everyone in town. Well after a particularly good day of fishing I took him a nice mess of Crappie. He said, "You know; you're the only one who has ever brought me any fish, or even offered." I think he was honestly greatfull that someone said "thanks for a change".

Another nice touch is put the land owner on yourChristmas Card list. Always good follow up.