Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food Plots VS. Feeders?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Food Plots VS. Feeders?

I posted this in the bow hunting forum but I thought I would post here as well!

For all you guys who live in the south, you'veseen people use feeders for 2 reasons. The first being a food source and the second being for protein to build antler growth. Being that I was raised on hunting both techniques I am fairly neutral on this subject. For me a feeder is nothing more than a really tiny food plot. I know from experience that growing plots in 60 straight days of 100 degree weather is almost impossible with no rain (or source of water). So my question is, why are people so hatred toward feeders? People hunt on food plots with guns.... Its almost just the amount of challenge to make that shot across a field than it is to make a 200 yard shot to a feeder? Personally I like to hunt on trails that lead to feeders....does that make me a bad hunter? I just think that northern hunters watch these shows and see that we "Zoo" hunt down here with high fences, when in reality its not like that at all.Last year I shot one doe, thats it. Did I have chances to kill a buck, sure, but they were 1.5 to 2.5 years of age and that to me just isn't mature enough. Yes down here weDO use feeders but that doesn't make us bad hunters. Ijust always wanted to get peoples thoughts on this subject.
Thanks guys I appreciate your responses theres no right or wrong answer!
-Hunt hard, hunt smart, HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Food Plots VS. Feeders?

Well what it boils down to is there are certain people who are say old fashioned? I dont know if thats the way to put it or not? Those certain people have never hunted over food plots, feeders, or bait in that matter! They believe in hunting over trails and natural food sources! Everyone has a different opinion, me myself i have no problem with any source of hunting except for high fenced hunting, which is just wrong in my eyes unless you have a handicap or something in that affect? I do use deer feeders...motorized,and stationary style, Do they help well of course but is it cheating not in my eyes!
Old 04-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

The negative usually is set in people's minds by the way they were raised hunting and the way they have been exposed to hunting. Part of it is the legality of hunting in your area with feeders.
Its amazing to me how some hunters can get so worked up negatively over the way another person legally hunts. A lot of times they are anti's and just don't know it or won't admit it.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've learned to each his own! I personally enjoy putting in the hard work on my plots year around! I also enjoy praying for rain!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:25 PM

Personally I have a combination of plots and feeders on my land.