Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
54.70%
no
39.32%
if i have the time
5.98%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Would you ever pick up road kill?

Old 03-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you ever pick up road kill?

I have had about 3 encounters with deer roadkills that I've been involved in or witnessed it. Every time the deer ran into the side of the vehicle with little damage to the meat. You damn straight I'm going to throw it in the back of my truck. I have to eat just as the buzzards and I too have plenty of game but as said earlier I know people as I who aren't above it so share it.

Bobby
Old 03-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

My car, my kill.........I wouldnt feel verysatisfiedwithanother mans harvest. You know the type, they jump in someone elses picture and claim it to be theirs with this huge outlandish story......does anyone know someone who has done just that, I DO! I can see the story now "I was driving 75 mph, ten over the legal ya know. Then all of a sudden I see a little movement to my east and Islowly move my gas pedal alittle deeper. As I peer into the area I realize it is a 190 class buck with split G2's. I use my hood ornament as my sight system until I get him centered. I give a blow on my horn tube to get him to stop broadside. Now he is 25 yards away staring my headlights down and I let it fly, 980 fps with 25,000 pounds per square inch of hitting power, this is as clean as it gets. WHAM a clean hitand all I see are hoves, fur, and antlers go flying allover the place. The funny thing is I thought I heard himmake a sound like 'gnaaaaaaw'right before impact. Needless to say he didnt go 15 yards but his whole back end was completely ripped off but his antlers were in perfect condition. I will take a cloudy picture much like the ones turned in this year in bow hunting contest and claim it as a bow kill." End of story
Old 03-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been there done that. I have hit 2 deer that I have taken home and butchered. One was a little expensive by the pound, $3000 damage to the front of my truck. A friend of mine Knows a cop that calls him when they have a fresh one that is in good shape. He gets a few every year.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

my family has done it before ...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes and No.

I would never take back the meat, it could have peices of metal, rubber, etc.

I WOULD, however, if it's a buck, stop over and take his antlers off, that way I get free rattling antlers for the rut.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

I would take themhome if they are still worth eating. I once had to finish one off with the pistol in the ditch.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

why not as long as it was fresh and not badly messed up.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Yes and No.

I would never take back the meat, it could have peices of metal, rubber, etc.

I WOULD, however, if it's a buck, stop over and take his antlers off, that way I get free rattling antlers for the rut.
That's a big no-no in most places. WY Game Wardens set up surveilance on known road-kill bucks sometimes to catch people trying to take the antlers.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why? That's STUPID!!!!!

Why don't they take the buck off the road to keep it from spreading CWD instead of putting a camera there to look at who's going to want to salvage it!

It's not a no-no here in TN, a friend of mine did it.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would and I have. Not to eat, but more so out of respect for the animals that I love to hunt. It is hard to explain why one would respect a creature that they try very hard to hunt down and kill. I think it has to do with us being the most skilled of predators, hunting the most skilled animal of prey. Kind of a mutual respect thing, like two fighters in the ring, trying to kill each other for the length of a fight and then shaking hands at the end. To the outsider, it looks as if they hate each other, but in reality, they have much respect for each other, and in their own way, show it.

I clean them up or slide them down the hill out of site, just as I'd want to be out of sight for passersby when it is my time.