Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

neck shot...

Old 12-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: neck shot...

18 posts and i still duno where to hit..i didnt ask if they were good to take or anything..i wouldnt take one if i didnt know i could...im a heck of a shot...ive seen alot of guys targets at the range to tell me so...and impressed alot of old timers and good shots..since i cant figure out this whole neck shot it will be head shots for me when i get a good shot...and if not i will go back to heart and lungers...ivetaken deer on a dead run at 50yds in a thicket and i was stadning free hand...dropped her with one shot to the lungs she fell right out of the air..the reason im looking to find the neck shot is because if my buck would went 20 more yards another hunter would have seen him on his death run(perfect double lunger and shoulder hit...) and would probally dropped him and my first buck would been that guys 30th buck! i wouldnt liked that at all..and wanted to learn the neck shot so if i need it i know it...since i cant figure it out here i will head shoot when i feel i need to...and does when i get the perfect chance...and im shooting 165gr sierra game king hpbts...they act like my dads balistic tips...i love them for close range...i know they will give enough shock...

Old 12-09-2002, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

mauser06, you got alot to learn junior. What you are going to do is blow the jaw off a deer or cut the esophogus and starve it to death. Hope you will be able to look at yourself in the mirror afterwards.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot my share of deer with neck shots and been lucky so far. If your skill level and equipment permits aim at the soft spot at the back of the jaw bone. But whenever possible, center mass.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

welp masuar if i shoot in the neck i shoot at the white spot just below the chin but if there brode side i just shoot them on the shouldar

100%REDNECK
Old 12-09-2002, 05:07 PM

You could see clear enough to shoot 50 yards in a thicket? Doesn't sound like the thickets I hunt around!
Old 12-09-2002, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Shot a doe today in the neck broadside 30yds 25/06 100 gr. XLC. A little below the head towards the back of the neck dropped in it's tracks.. Bill
Old 12-09-2002, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

kgkoon...ya..it was 40-50yds...i picked the biggest lane and touched off when i seen the first deer in the scope...i got lucky and had a pretty clear lane...i was on a track made by the loggers that wasnt quite as grown up we and could see pretty clear for 25 yds or so then the saplings started again..its not a thicket thicket its a sapling thicket that is starting to grown up...i think i will take the neck shot if one walks straight at me...and a head shot if one walks straight away(both only if conditions are perfect...) and stay with the lung shot when broadside which most of my shots are...now i know what to do when one walks right away or right at me...thanx...guys why not give up im going to do what i want i know my capabilities..i mean sure your trying to save a deer but im not a moron..it would make me sick to blow a jaw off..im not a lead flingger...one round goes in the mauser and thats it..ive been taught to make that one round count and so far i have..and im a good shooter...i know 90%of the kids in my school couldnt take the doe i did running and i was standing free hand..i know my capabilities..and my equiptment im not going to go out and play sniper and try to take every deers head off i shot...just learning some diffrent shots so i will be prepared when i need/can use them...thank you those of you that helped me..

Old 12-09-2002, 05:41 PM

Mauser, I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but EVERY TIME I have shot a deer through the shoulders (not behind) they have dropped right where they were.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

mauser06, yeah some of us remember from you posts last year just how good a shot you are. If you can't drop them with a well placed shot to the vitals, what makes you think you can make a neck or head shot?
Old 12-09-2002, 06:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: neck shot...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.