Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do soldiers make better deerhunters?

Old 02-10-2007, 08:03 AM

Default RE: Do soldiers make better deerhunters?

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

Def.
Armey= People hunting people
Hunter= People hunting animals

Even though some people are animals my answere is no.
Agreed. Big difference. See, man has had the urge to hunt as far back as the cave man so that's understandable but I think it's important to stress the difference in the two.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I served as a ranger for 5 years and a drill sgt for 1 yr.. I can tell you I would pick any of my ranger friends any day to hunt with me. These guys eat sleep drink and Sh$$ in the woods / timber. Dont be fooled by some of the stories you here , everone gets trained on the m16 platform , that doesnt mean that they become proficient with it. And there always some that never catch on. I can tell you that from being a drill. Those that I served with are some very cagey ,savy woodsmen. Deer or human you wouldnt want them on your trail,or in there sights.
God bless all who has served and who are serving right now!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:45 AM

when I went to basic they never really taught us much about cover and concealment untill you learned about fox holes and that kind of thing. they never said any thing about how to move quietly through terain or really any thing about being quiet in the woods. they had us thinking the camo bdu's we wore were all the cover weed ever need.
the shooting course would be better than nothing, that im shure of. but as fare as it makeing you a super duper accurate shooter, i dont think so. you are not expected to hit bullet hole in bullet hole at 300 yard with your m-16, they just want the target (by target i mean the humat silloets sp.) to be nocked down when you shoot. its a assault rifle they want shots to be spread out a little when you shoot so there is more damage.
most of the people they had in my basic platoon were ignorant dum***es that hailed from a big city. many came from american islands in the philipeans but not really the kind of guy that knows a gun and knows how to hunt stuff for food going to war for his country kind of thing. they want the most blank slate they can come up with so they can mold it to there needs. they also seem to like an individual who has burned all there bridges and has no where to go but the millitary. those kind seem to stick around allot longer than sgt york types. thats just my 2 cents.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

I served as a ranger for 5 years and a drill sgt for 1 yr.. I can tell you I would pick any of my ranger friends any day to hunt with me. These guys eat sleep drink and Sh$$ in the woods / timber. Dont be fooled by some of the stories you here , everone gets trained on the m16 platform , that doesnt mean that they become proficient with it. And there always some that never catch on. I can tell you that from being a drill. Those that I served with are some very cagey ,savy woodsmen. Deer or human you wouldnt want them on your trail,or in there sights.
God bless all who has served and who are serving right now!!!
Hardcore, I started out security forces here but switched to the admin field after I've had enough. Two things are for sure, there was no way that John Wayne could pull a grenade pinwith his teeth and the other is John Wayne was not even close to being a hero. Also, when you catch a bullet or a RPG, you die.

I'm not trying to take anything away from our men and women who server. It's just hunting guys. Relax and enjoy life in the open and be proud that you can hunt in this beutiful land of ours.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mike. Yes I was on two different carriers. You had to wait in line to even wait in line.

I have been told by some that there is nothing on earth more dangerous that a sailor with a gun.. We used to stand guard with the M-i carbine but we were not allowed to put the magazine in it.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing that I can see that may be confusing is the wind direction game. When you hunt you need to play the wind and stay downwind. After a month in the field with a bunch of guys, you learn to stay upwind from some.......:0)
Old 02-12-2007, 06:37 AM

If you were in sniper training you may turn out to be a good hunter. As for the others the answer is no. It takes spending a lot of time out in the field and paying attention.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

Before you jump to conclusions, let me expound. It is already well excepted and proven through experience that hunters make better soldiers than non-hunters, such as in the case of Sgt. York. Do youbelieve that soldiers, who have had no previous hunting experience, make better deerhunters, at least in regards to initial learning than non-soldiers? I will add no other qualifiers.

If they have had no prior hunting experience I'd say no. Now I'll be the first to admit that if a rifle instructor from the military took a good look at myself and probably a few others on how we hold, aim, and fire our guns they would probably have a fit (I did mention myself, don't forget). I was self taught like I'm sure most of us was on how to fire a gun. So maybe a slight advantage on shooting to the soldiers. Just wrap a towel around the deers antlers and turn um loose....
Old 02-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Outside of the fact that soldiers and hunters both use weapons, that's where the similarity ends. To become a good deer hunter there are just so many things to learn. Plus that learning experience never ends.

I can't see where being in the military would make anyone a better hunter. That GI would still have to learn all about the life of the deer, how the rut changes things, how good there sense are, especially their sense of smell, how much security and safety plans into their daily routine, what their favorite food sources are during specific times of the year and why, how good scouting ends in a specific strategy, etc, etc, etc.

It's a learning experience and the things that you bring to the table from being in the military has absolutely no factor that would make you a better hunter. Two novice hunters, one a civilian all his/her life and a GI would still havethe same learing curve.

The amount of dedication, persistance, focus,love of hunting and the outdoors, would make one better than the other.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

Outside of the fact that soldiers and hunters both use weapons, that's where the similarity ends. To become a good deer hunter there are just so many things to learn. Plus that learning experience never ends.

I can't see where being in the military would make anyone a better hunter. That GI would still have to learn all about the life of the deer, how the rut changes things, how good there sense are, especially their sense of smell, how much security and safety plans into their daily routine, what their favorite food sources are during specific times of the year and why, how good scouting ends in a specific strategy, etc, etc, etc.

It's a learning experience and the things that you bring to the table from being in the military has absolutely no factor that would make you a better hunter. Two novice hunters, one a civilian all his/her life and a GI would still havethe same learing curve.

The amount of dedication, persistance, focus,love of hunting and the outdoors, would make one better than the other.

I would have to agree. Those in the military MAY have better acquired skills in shooting, but hunting is a whole different ballgame!

Quick Reply: Do soldiers make better deerhunters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.