Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do soldiers make better deerhunters?

Old 02-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Default RE: Do soldiers make better deerhunters?

The only thing I learned in the military was how to shoot and to never quit. . . .that said. . . .Shooting is a very small part of the hunt. . . .You would propably get better general hunting skills having been a boy scout than you may receive while in the service. Mind you there are a few guys in the military that are born to hunt. . . .I don't think the military did any more than help bring that out.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:04 PM

You know I can't argue with any of the feedback. You all gave really solid feedback. I guess for me, personally, it goes both ways. I was raised shooting and hunting, so went into the Army fairly competent, but my 16 years in the Army, Reserves and National Guard and time in Iraq, central america and Europe have added to my hunting skills, in regards to improved attention/focus, patience and discipline.
I have known a lot, I mean a lot of soldiers that very incompentent in regards to shooting let alone anything requiring real discipline.
I appreciate the feedback all.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Def.
Armey= People hunting people
Hunter= People hunting animals

Even though some people are animals my answere is no.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

I think deer hunters would make better soldiers. Nothing against our soldiers though.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:26 PM

For the most part I would have to say no. But if they had more training in certain areas then yes. Like if they have great shooting skills, then that would help. Maybe they have had training to learn to stay put and sit still, that would help too. But there is alot to learn when it comes to playing the twenty yard game with a whitetail. But to all have served, my many thanks to ya all.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on what kind of hunting you're talking about. The hunting my buddies and I do is to get out a work our tails off to find, move up on and take the game, whether it's waterfowl, pheasants, deer or especially Elk.
We're out there walking from dawn to dark and after dark walking out.
We've all are vets and know that we can and often need to keep pushing ourselves and each other to get to the objective and accomplish our "mission" (get the game). We did it then and we do it now.
So, I think being a vet with experience in military can add to the success as a hunter. It's not the only way to be good at that and not all who've been in the military are even hunters obviously.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

NO, Sailors are better hunters
Old 02-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

James B

You must have been on an aircraft carrier. You know about getting in lines and staying still for hours. Especially Liberty lines. Chow lines, ship store lines. It gets to be if you see a line you get in it you may not know what its for but if its a line you must belong in it. After you make Chief you become excluded caus you don't wait in line any more. Thank god.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sailors?! Oh kriminy! (sp?) I don't think they even know which is the business end of a rifle do they? jk

Seriously, thank you for those who've proudly worn the uniform. I'll give each of you (us) the benefit of the doubt and say "yeah we're a little bit better" than the average Joe or Jane with a firearm, know how to push ourselves further, because we've had to do it do it plenty of times.

Hats off to current and past military vets.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:59 AM

I always strap on a bandana and cut my arm with my bowie knife before I head out. My method of hunting is a little different. I either lie underneath the swamp while breathing through a bamboo then spring up on the deer while they least suspect it and slit their throats and maybe break their necks just for affect from time to time. The other way I hunt is from a tree with explosive tipped arrows while covered in mud just so the aliens don't see me. Of course, I always have to say a one liner just before I make my kill. You know, they really should consider taping me for one of them hunting shows......

Quick Reply: Do soldiers make better deerhunters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.