Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"First Snow" Strategies

Old 12-05-2002, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default "First Snow" Strategies

We had our first snowfall of the season down here last night, and I'll be out in the woods for an afternoon/evening hunt. What strategies are suggested for a season's first snow? I've heard close to bedding is a good idea on days like today.

<font color=green>How many vegetables had to die to make your stupid salad!</font id=green>
Old 12-05-2002, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: "First Snow" Strategies

I see you live in Md. I work in Springfield and the snow has stopped, but it is now sleeting. Last year when we had our one and only snow in Fredericksburg I left work early and hit the woods right after it quit snowing, got my first buck of the year an hour after I was on stand, try and get out there before it stops to snow. They will be up and feeding, as someone else said on another snow thread, if you know where any honeysuckle or corn still standing is be there, if not they will be rooting through the snow for acorns. Good luck, I can't leave early enough today, but plan on leaving early tomorrow.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-05-2002, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first advice would have been to have been hunting while it was snowing. A lot of times, deer get really stupid during the first snow, and it really seems like they run around like chickens with their heads cut off looking for a place to get out of it. After the first snow, it's not like that, but I've seen it a lot on the first here in KS. Since you missed that, I'd say you're right about staying close to bedding areas, but make sure they have really good cover, and maybe some form of wind block. Also, I've taken a few deer that have been laying under pine trees, so if there are any bedding areas with pines nearby, keep an eye out. IMHO, I think deer will move a lot later in the day after a snow, but seem to move a lot more throughout the day following that, so keep that in mind.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-06-2002, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

...absolutely no action. Not a sound. Not even any squirrels. And on the way back out of the woods (approximately 1.5 miles) I observed no fresh tracks. Either I was in the wrong place (duh...) or they just weren't ready to move yet.

<font color=green>How many vegetables had to die to make your stupid salad!</font id=green>
Old 12-06-2002, 06:57 AM

Mizzou, I went out as soon as the freezing rain stopped. We ended up with about 5&quot; of snow here in Calvert. There were deer tracks everywhere and my place gets heavy hunting pressure. I would have thought the deer would be bedded while the freezing rain fell. But it seems they were moving. On my way in I came to the top of a hill and there were 2 does on the other hill and they took off before I could get a shot.
Old 12-06-2002, 07:25 AM

I tried to hunt yesterday morning during the heavy snowfall, I walked for quite a ways, no tracks, not a creature was stirring. Things sit tight during any storm, rain or snow. You're right though, deer will be found in their beds. But the night and next morning afterwards is usually prime. Went out this morning at first light, deer tracks everywhere, all the way to within 100 yards of my house. Seen a few doe and buck trotting off back there, couldn't fire because I wasn't sure if there were at least 3 points to an antler. Will set up the ladder stand by noon time today before people get home from work and hit their woods to catch a late day hunt and get 'em moving again.