Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is this Bad Stand Placement HELP me Please

Old 12-04-2002, 10:37 AM

Default Is this Bad Stand Placement HELP me Please

Hey
This morning i went to put y stand up for the Up and coming Rifle Season. I got it all set and when i was comin back out i noticed i had done something wrong? I had put the stand up wewre i seen some trails. But in order to get to my stand i have to cross a creek and then i have to cross place were a deer trail gos . So with me sayin this with this spook the Deer were i have to croos the trail or do i need to go get my stand and move i to te otherside of the crek please help me please help
Thanks alot
Old 12-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this Bad Stand Placement HELP me Please

Actually, it might be a good place to use a scent trail.
Make sure to eliminate all your scent.
Start it before you cross the deer trail and lead them in a semi-circle around the upwind side of your stand to create multiple shot opportunities. Leave the scent bomb (or whatever) out at about 20 yards.

If you don't use scents then just make sure you don't stink.
If I have to cross a known trail on the way in, I try to cross it on a perpendicular direction so that I'm near the trail for the least amount of time so as to minimize scent I might leave.

The creek, I can't help with.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

One question in regards to moving the stand, if you move it to the other side of the creek will you still be taking advantage of the prevailing wind and have as good of shooting lanes as you have now? If the answer is no, leave the stand where it is at, make sure at a minimum you have rubber boots on for scent control and get into the stand early both for the morning and afternoon hunts.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-04-2002, 12:29 PM

Get in early! sounds like the spot I put a buddy in this year. I was leaving the cabin 1.5 hours before legal getting to my stand 45 minutes early. He kept trying to get in right at legal and kept jumping deer every morning. He hept complaining too much noise to get in. I went into this spot the last morning we hunted. I got in well before legal and had deer at ease under me right at legal and continued for the next 2.5 hours.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the help.
But got one more questn that i need help on.
Ok say that if wer i have to wake across the trail say if i leave a little scent and the Deer smell it will this little it of scent cpook them off for ever or with it be them o the look out ? Please hlp on this on
Old 12-05-2002, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Scent will lessen with time, some deer will just go on alert for a while after getting scent off the ground, others will turn around and go the other way until the scent is gone. Will it spook them forever? No, even the most wary deer will return to it's normal trials, sometimes in the same day.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club