Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NEED SOME HELP!

Old 12-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NEED SOME HELP!

I was talking with the DNR on CWD, apparently the brain rarely will exhibit an signs of abnormality upon visual inspection. They must test the nerves or inner area of the brain for CWD. Any distortion to the brain will reander the animal useless for testing purposes. Here they ask you submit doe samples with head in tact, if you shot a buck, you must be very careful not to cut or disturb the brain in any form. I would think this maybe uniform procedure and that it may not even be able to be tested for CWD, in that case. Plus given the information I have obtained, other than the late stages of the desease the CWD animal does not show any noticable signs of the disease. That being said it should be brought to their attention...could be another disease and not fit for human consumption.

The yellowish/Green ooze you discribe sounds like a bruising or injury caused by fighting or sparring. Did you notice upon skinning the animal to be bruised (yellowish, liquidy fat areas) elsewhere? Did you notice if the skull had a fracture or any contusions in the eye or ear areas...that may elude to an injury sustained through a fight? I have seen a brain injured deer shot a few years back, it had some of the yellowish ooze you mentioned & even a mushy looking brain portion from a clot, rupture, etc(the yellow colour is puss(infection), a source for healing..but when it is in the brain more likely the animal will die or suffer a possible stroke.) It was looked at & deemed healthy, but injured most likely through fighting or possibly from a vehicle hit.

In any regards it should be examined by the DNR and deemed fit for consumption before you have it processed or start eating the animal.

Old 12-05-2002, 08:18 AM

Default RE: NEED SOME HELP!

Nub CHILL THE HECK OUT! I dont know. But anyways it was confirmed as of a very large brain tumor!

PrOdEeRhUnTeR

Muzzy All Da Way