Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

late season tactics on public land

Old 12-02-2002, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default late season tactics on public land

Well, I saw plenty of does before the doe season opened here in GA, but as soon as it opened, of course, nothing. I usually hunt from a ridge looking down on thick pines in a valley. I guess they have mostly gone nocturnal since there is a lot of hunting pressure on this public land. I hear them sometimes in the thick stuff, so I know they are there.
I am thinking of climbing a tall tree in/near the thick stuff since most of the hardwoods have lost their leaves by now, and I might catch one moving during the day there (but also the noise of climbing might alert them that I am there). I have also heard of hunters that like to go into the thick stuff when it is raining since their sound will be covered. Another idea I heard about was using a sheet or big piece of cardboard in front of me as I move through the thick stuff. One guy said that you can walk right up to a deer this way, and they wont run (assuming you are moving into the wind).

Does anyone else have any ideas? The rut is almost over here.. but I dont care so much if I get a buck or doe. I dont have enough people to do a drive.. so that is out. Would like to get some more ideas.

Sky
Old 12-02-2002, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: late season tactics on public land

sky_guy I have never heard of "using a sheet or big piece of cardboard in front of me as I move through the thick stuff" how the heck would you hold your gun and the cardboard or sheet anyhow? Placing a stand either on the edge or in the thick stuff is a good idea as long as you get into the stand well before daybreak or getting in it midday and staying until dark. One of 2 things will happen, either you will catch them as the mosey thier way to their bedding or feeding area or you will get a shot at one that another hunter jumps. They will move with in the thick stuff a little bit on and off throughout the day also. Make sure you enter the thick stuff from the downwind side, your scent will tip them off to the source of the noise you will make going in. Hunting the thick stuff during or right after a rain will also work if you hunt into the wind, but you have to be slow and quiet, be willing to take 3-7 steps and then be still for 4-5 minutes before moving again.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-02-2002, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto.
No cardboard for me.
Get in or near that thick area WAY early, stay there late, or still hunt into it during rain. Be as scent free as you can. If you get inside there and pick the right spot early enough, you may have some deer set up camp right under you.

I've had my best luck seeing deer when I get in deep and early on public land. Use the other hunters to push'em toward you.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.

Edited by - Bulzeye on 12/02/2002 13:15:13
Old 12-02-2002, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmm....let me get this straight....brown cardboard or a white sheet in the thickets during gun season on public land...You best make your SIGN out of that cardboard..Foxworthy style....

Get in early and stay late...

I always carry a sling shot for just such occassions...a few well placed rocks can bring a couple your way...

~Will Hunt For Food~
Old 12-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Skyguy, the guy didn't say anything about snipes did he? The cardboard doesn't sound feasible to me either. Brown moving through the bushes public land is asking for a quick trip to tombstone territory.

Old 12-02-2002, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Great ideas guyz. Believe me, I am not about to carry ANY brown or white on public land. I would paint it orange first.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-02-2002, 08:19 PM
Spike

I also hunt public lands in Georgia, mainly because it is normally safer than private land and I like the areas I hunt. Hunting pressure on the weekends, especially a long weekend like Turkey Day, can put the deer into deep thickets with little daytime movement. I've found the best time to hunt are on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday --you have the woods all to yourself.

The other option is get into a deep section of woods early, about an hour or more before sunrise. Use the extra time to walk in quietly, setup quietly and let the forest quiet down once you've settled in. The best places are too rough for ATVs and long hikes from the nearest road or parking spot.

I like hunting hardwoods with lots of acorns around that are near thick young pines or heavy undergrowth. A smart buck can teach you a few tricks on low crawling through thickets and underbrush when he feels the pressure.

Be safe, leave the cardboard at home and wear dayglow orange...I don't even wear white underwear to the woods...just in case nature calls...that'd be a bad place to catch a bullet.

Heaven is best viewed from a deer stand at sunrise in the forest

Favorite Sticker: Vegetarian is Indian for Lousy Hunter