Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting dog killers

Old 12-02-2002, 11:57 AM

Default RE: Deer hunting dog killers

I feel bad whenever I have to shoot someones dog. If I know who owns
it I would set it on thier front step so they know what happened to
it. I put my life savings into my hunting land.
It is the owners responsability to keep the dog off other peoples
land. It's the law. The owners are the ones that need to tell their kids that their LACK of responsability got their pet killed.

I do give them 2-strikes though. I will shoot them on the 3rd time.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scbuckhunter, Model722, and BowHunter, great posts. You all make great points. I was really getting worried that I was one of the last deer hunters that used common sense.

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen dogs in the woods and have even seen dogs following after deer. What would draw me to shooting the dog is if I repeatedly saw it running deer and if it was running deer and not just following a scent trail. I'm not talking about a dog ruining my hunt, I'm talking about a dog that is chasing deer to the point where the deer is about to die or does get chased down and dies. At this point I would shoot a dog. We used to have three dogs that you would see everyday chasing deer across the fields and through the woods. It is perfectly legal here in Wisconsin to shoot a dog running deer on your property. I would not shoot the dog if it was a neighbors pet.(I know the neighborhood dogs)
Old 12-02-2002, 01:30 PM

If I considered the dog to be a danger to anyone or livestock then I would terminate the dog.

Nahum 1:7
Old 12-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
it is not a felony in texas. it is not a crime of any type if the dog is on property not owned by its owner. i never said to shoot the dog. you should have spent the time reading the post clearly rather than highlighting a quote
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Read the first three words of my last post! &quot;Not around here!&quot; I quoted your post to show the different laws in different areas. Why so touchy?

Edited by - bowfanatic on 12/02/2002 20:14:43
Old 12-02-2002, 06:40 PM

lol I go out for a minute and look what happens

I dont think anyone here WANTS to or ENJOYS just shooting loose dogs

dogs with collars or dragging broken leashes get one free pass

after that they may become fertilizer on the food plot

and yer darn tootin a make a big deal out of how much money and preparation I put in for the opportunity to go hunting a couple days each year. I suppose that becuz Joe Blow the neighbor wont keeps his beagles tied up I am suppose to say oh well to the many hundreds of dollars I spent and just quit hunting? NOT

Yes how bout the money the owner spent on their pet....if the pet was so prescious it wouldnt be running loose where it might get hurt now would it....

no point in discussing it really....cuz if and when I ever shot a dog the 'owner' would never know about it anyway. All they would know is Fido was running loose again for the 1000th time but he didnt come home this time

** I almost got him but I refuse to take a marginal shot **
Old 12-02-2002, 06:49 PM

Important Statement:
Many breds of dogs are used by farmers to protect livestock. Instinctivly they will defend their territory by attacking then chasing the uninvited animals sometimes up to half a mile. Although a deer is not a threat to the livestock it is an intruder to the dogs territory. In some cases I feel these dogs where simply acting in this manner. On the other hand they could just have easly been trained to run deer by their owner. Which is a very unsportsmanlike practice. In either case the dog is merely acting on his training/instincts that have been engrained by man. Who are we to judge whether a dog is protecting his territory and has no intentions of hurting the animal, or is running the deer so that his owner can find one to harvest. Yes, it may be illegal, but are the dogs to blame? If you consider the facts its more the owners that are the ones to blame. The canines are simply trying to satisfy their handler/owner and do not have the capibility to judge right from wrong. As far as the canine knows, it is wrong not to preform this act. So now, you be the judge!

-Gooch-
Old 12-02-2002, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I'm pretty sure it's not a felony in Wisconsin. It's the law to keep your dogs on a leash though...with the exception being if you are bear hunting. Don't send them through my property.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

You might want to check into that James! A neighbor kid was charged with 3 counts of felony cruelty to animals years ago for shooting 3 coon hounds which happened to belong to another neighbor. He still cant legally own a firearm today.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-02-2002, 08:42 PM

Turkey Hunter
You must have misunderstood me. The dog is trained to keep other animals out. This protect the calves for coyotes, wild hogs, and ect. If a animal enters the cattles territory the dog will fight and/or run it off.

-Gooch-

Quick Reply: Deer hunting dog killers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.