Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting dog killers

Old 12-01-2002, 10:47 PM

Default RE: Deer hunting dog killers

The only deer I saw all season were being chased by stray dogs. They belong to people, but they let them run loose. These dogs growl at me and stand under my stand and bark at me. They have even charged me, but I was able to scare them off by wacking them with a stick . And the only reason I didn't pump 170 grains through all of em is because I have seen kids playing with the dogs. What makes a dog important is that it belongs to someone. Other than that they are just a stupid coyote.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:48 PM

i carry a bb gun at times and shoot the dodogs with that. that is alot better than with my 7 mag. the dogs on our lease now have collars and appears to have tags. they do not belong to land owner and he has never seen the dogs before.he has seen them chasing his cattle and said for us to shoot them.hell, i can not even spank my own dog.i can not believe the hunters shot the dogs for no reason. that is truly wrong and unethical.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:53 PM

So your dog, or you can not see an instance where a dog, may get loose? Not possible huh?

My dog, which is always inside or in a huge kennel chassed after a rabbit that was right by the house one time when I let it out to go potty. So now I am an irresponsible owner and you can just kill my dog while I am out looking for it cause your hunt was spoiled? Please tell me this is not what you are suggesting.

See we are talking about several scenerios here and trying to apply one answer to all instances.

<ul>[*] Pet gets loose/ spoils hunt once[*] Pet repeatedly gets loose/ spoils hunt[*] Out in country few houses[*] Populated area[/list]
I personally am advocating not killing it, a domesticated animal, under any circumstance other then life threatening. I just don't believe that my hunting is more important then the dogs life or its owners grief.

whoops hit submit to quick.... btpatriot02, as to laws, first I would want to have a more then &quot;what I have heard&quot; and I would emphize again alternatives can be sought. Shoot on sight does not sound like a rational law, but then again I know many irrational laws.

Edited by - hunt3r on 12/02/2002 00:00:49
Old 12-01-2002, 10:54 PM

UNethical? How is shooting a wild dog any worse than shooting a coyote? If I know the dog belongs to someone I will not shoot it, if not the dog has no real value and I will shoot it.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:58 PM

i can't believe what im reading either.....what kinda crack smoking political body would pass a law making it a &quot;FELONY&quot; to kill a rogue dog thats creating cahos on someone elses property. hell in texas i thought they liked killing everything...they seem to fry murders down there as often as i fry beacon. i more than likely wouldn't kill a dog while im hunting, however making it a felony for killing a dog that's obviously not where its suppose to be makes as much sense as it would if it were also a felony for the dog owner letting his dog run loose in the first place. it just shows you what a sad state of affair this country is in when tax dollars are wasted sitting down creating a law such as this. whats the penalty life in prison or the death penalty for 1st degree murder.....sorry guys but this kinda stuff just pisses me off. animals are not now nor have they ever, from biblical times to present day, been equal to humans. although certain special interest groups are doing a pretty good job of changing all that. if anyone out there is going to agree that a law of this severity is just, then you might as well hold hands w/the antis and work with them on taking our hunting rights away. because thats exactly the people laws like this are created to appease.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:08 PM

I can see now why this keeps going astray (no pun intended).

I have repeatedly used the word PET and then said DOMESTICATED animal. I would almost guarentee the TX law refers to pets, not rouge or wild dogs. You kill my dog with a coller on it and you will be lucky if all that happens is you go to jail.

Stop harping on the irresponsible owner as a scape goat please, if your daugter ends up at a party you don't know about it doesnt give some scumbag teenager the right to have his way with her. I am not saying those people don't exsist but you guys are running that one into the ground. I feel as if people are advocating not even seeking amicable alternative solutions. Just fire away with no regard.....

I PERSONALLY would have a hard time killing a rouge or wild dog, but that is not what I am or have been refering to.

Edited by - hunt3r on 12/02/2002 00:12:46
Old 12-01-2002, 11:13 PM

that is not the law here in texas. i am a retired deputy with 25 years of service behind me. there ia a cruelty to an animal law here that does not pertain to the dog running loose in the country. leash laws do not pertain to dogs in the country.farmers and ranchers here shoot stray dogs that the owners are not known. they chase live stock and wild animals and have been known to attack humans. i will not wait til after i am attacked or the dog tells me he is going to be nice/city ordinances and laws are different. it is not a felony in texas to shhot a stray dog in the country. in the city it is different due to the endangerment of people.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:33 PM

I have dogs constantly running free on my property and I tell the owners to keep their dogs out but they think it's funny.You know you can only say so many times and get frustrated with the owners.but think of this, you deal with this person or persons.about their dog and you've tried everything possible,and seeing this dog chasing down a deer and knowing that the deer will die for no reason at all.because a domesticated animal is running loose in the woods.and I know about the dog accidently getting loose because I've heard the excuse to many times,For that all I can say is if it gets loose and doesn't come back when you call it go back to training class IMO the only time a dog should be loose is if you know that you have full control of the animal.Also IMO if a dog will chase down a deer,it will probably chase a car and if it gets hit who's fault is it? the dog's or the driver.and what if it will chase down a child? And a child will run away and a dog will only stop when it catches whatever it's chasing.and that child gets hurt how would you feel then?And never say never because if it chases a deer it will chase anything that runs away from it.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:38 PM

hunt3r i stated that i probably wouldn't shoot a rouge dog either....however your dog w/a collar on it repeatedly ends up chasing deer on someone elses property and ends up shot. then you have no one but yourself to blame. and why in the world would you make the analogy between someones daughter and the topic of this thread. putting humans and animals in the same catagory pretty much proves my point. as for pet owners, they're not the scape goats. they're the responsible party, and if they're not going to take control of their pets and keep them where they're suppose to be then they have no business owning pets. don't get me wrong here, i have a dog, but if i let him out to run the neighborhood and he ends up shot or hit by a car....who do i blame? better yet who do you blame? that falls into the statement that i made ealier of the country being in a sad state of affair......everything is always someone elses fault.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:48 PM

You guys are able to put the worst possible spin on everything. Hurray for you. Go kill some dogs. Chase children....please. How in the hell did we get from shooting dogs over a wounded or dead dear to chasing children.

btpatriot02, I am truely sorry the people are not responded well to you. Maybe IMO you need to go to negotiation class or something to help get them to take responsibility? Ok, that was clearly below the belt, but I think you see the simularity to what you were saying. It is so easy for someone to sit back and say well if I had a dog it would never get loose.

In the end, everyone is going to have to make judgments based on individual circumstances, I hope and ask that we all take a moment just to consider the overall picture. Seel an alternative. Aparently that is too much to ask or it is just falling on deaf ears.

Quick Reply: Deer hunting dog killers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.