Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting dog killers

Old 12-04-2002, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer hunting dog killers

I don't believe in killing anything not deserving it. Don't have a dog problem any more but lots of cats and foxes and I let them roam around . Actually they break up the monotony. Did live in NC years ago where dogs were used for deer hunting. They get lost and there were very dangerous wild dog packs. Oh Well Each to his own choice. One Shot one kill Striper Phil
Old 12-04-2002, 06:00 AM

TxCowboy - I'm with you. I have a hard time believing the "never" crowd. Each situation is different, but I think I have been where you are and I unfortunately have had to kill some dogs. I didn't like it but I did it. It's a personal choice but if the dog being the pasture is a habit then it's a simple(not easy) choice for me. And like I said before these same people who let their pets roam free on other property probably would not appreciate me dropping of a few head of cattle to graze in their nice green yard in the summer. The owner is the problem but since this is the real world unfortunately the dog pays the price.

Later
Gone_Huntin
Old 12-04-2002, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

I could never get myself to shoot a dog, but here in NY I know people who have shot dogs because they were running deer. Once a dog starts chasing and killing deer he won't stop. So that's why they'll shot them. I don't know if I totally agree with it, but I do see why they do it.

Old 12-04-2002, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

hunt3r,In my area there will never be an alternative as long as there are "dog hunters"and "non-dog hunters" in there same place.Both figure they are in the right .Which they are.In non dog hunting areas.I don't know what you could do.Rember I am talking about hunting dogs.Not wild dogs,strays,curs,or whatever.These animals I have no problem with capping.If you can catch the people that turn the dogs out and report them to the game wardens they will know what to do.As far as the ones that repeatedly allow their animals to run wild I would not want to shoot their dog ,But you can't just go and beat their ass either.So what are you to do?In the county that I live in (in Va.) they have a demarcation line with a Railroad track as the line.East of the R.R. you can use dogs to hunt .On the west you can't.The problem is The R.R. goes through my front yard When you live that close to boundries you are naturally going to have problems.The man that has been in a stand all day,sees dog ,gets pissed ,shoots dog,runs into dog owner,dog owner finds out about dead dog,gets pissed,fight begins,guns involved,somebody gets hurt or ( God Forbid) killed= BAD REP FOR HUNTERS.Something none of us need.It is a no win situation.Except for the Anti's.

Danville Va.LAST CAPITAL OF THE CONFEDERACY
Old 12-04-2002, 09:41 AM

I know all about this dog eliminating thing. I live in the country and own cattle. I often have problems with dogs and I have the proper solution for dogs that are on my property only.
The 3 "S" rule.
Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up
MissouriTrapper
Old 12-04-2002, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

After reading all the posts on this thread I've come to a very sad conclusion which I already knew: the demise of hunting will come with the help of hunters. This thread is a perfect example. Over half the people on this thread say they will "never" shoot a dog unless in self defense. A dog is just an animal, no different than a domestic cow or chicken. However, they have moved dogs up to a level above animals. The dogs place, in their mind is closer to that of a human. I'd never shoot a human, expcept in self defense, I'll shoot an animal (including a dog) for alot of other reasons. However, this is not true with this sect of hunters, they will only shoot a dog for self defense, therefore moving it up to a level near that of human life. This wouldn't even have been a debate 50 yrs ago but now those of us who still see a dog as just an animal are the minority.

I've already seen debates among us where many people say the same thing about coyotes. They will "never" shoot them unless it is for self defense. Next it will be cute little squirrels, then rabbits, then one day deer. It is a slow process and it won't happen with this generation but it WILL happen. All this is just music to the anti's ears. They don't have to run ads to gain support, they have hunters slowly and methodically moving in their direction. Laugh if you will but mark my words on this my friends.

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:53 AM

people would not have to worry over the dogs being shot if there was responsible owners.it is alomsot like people are saying the same thing about our children in schools. it is the schools responsibility to raise out kids and not the parents. it is not someone elses responsibility to watch out for that dog, it is the owners. if they are not going to be responsible then the do not need the dogs.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent point Dep. I call that rational thinking however, I'm afraid many hunters don't think like you and I.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:14 AM

TxCowboy, I agree, A dog is just a dog. It is not someones brother
or sister, It's just a dog.
I hate being put in the situation where I have to shoot the dog in order to hunt my own land. But it happens. And I will shoot everytime!
I like the Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up one.
I feed my family with venison and no dog is going to screw that up for me!! I love to deer hunt, and any dog that comes on my property more that once will be utilized as fertilizer in my food plots.
If you don't take care of your pets, I will. That's just the way it is.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

By the way, most of the <u>non-lethal</u> methods for dealing with dogs mentioned here involve the intentional inflicting pain and suffering. Guess what, that’s called <u>cruelty to animals and is illegal</u> almost everywhere.

If it is, or is possibly, a pet or hunting dog, at least give the owner one chance. If it is a stray, there is no chance. You have to use your own judgment in each situation.

Mike

Quick Reply: Deer hunting dog killers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.