Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Permanent stands on public land

Old 01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Permanent stands on public land

i see where you are coming from and fully understand......i don't understand however, how you think they own the land?? in your case i am assuming it would be illegal to build a tree stand on NF? so yes i would probably tear the sucker down, but if it is not illegal then what would be the problem?... to my knowledge if it is NF which is a federal thing then unless your local gov. says no building of tree stands it should be llegal?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:42 PM

I was talking about both State forrest and National Wildlife Refuge. I know for a fact that in MN unless you are significantly disabled (written exception through the DNR and/or USF&WL) you can not build any permanent hunting structures (stands or blinds)on state forrest land or Wildlife Refuge.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:26 PM

One thing is for certain, it is illegal then you don't want to be sitting in that stand when the game warden shows up...
Old 01-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

What happened to the days of Ground Hunting.These guys that build perm stands(where its Illegal) are simply trying to get the edge on other legal hunters - or - trying to bushwhack deer on neighboring property that they could not otherwise see.The funny part is these morons really think they have an easement of sorts on the area where they erect these stands.

I hunted a WMA some years back that was chocked full of these Illegal stands.The local Bubba Boys had key Deer areas sewed up with these stands.

Well - for about 2 yrs there was a warden who's sole purpose in life was to clean up this area of outlaws.He and others tore down every stand they could find and some more than once.Really pissed off the good ole boys in area

I won't reveal his real name - but - Everybody in the hunting community called him "Rambo" which was close to his real name.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my spots is military land and within the last couple yrs. they allowed people to leave stands up all season. If you get there long before dawn & set up, someone who leaves a stand up all season (that you don't see in the pre dawn darkness) comes in later has the right to hunt the spot..... I think that sucks!
Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 PM

I'm hesitant to hunt in the area with permanent stands. The last thing I'd want to deal with, especially since I hunt solo 90% of the time, is an angry group of hunters who feel they have possession of a spot (squatter's rights?). But I know the spot has to produce deer. That's what really gets me. And as much as I'd like to tear it down, I dont think it's my place. Perhaps I'll make a call to DNR in the fall if it's still there, though.
-- B
Old 01-16-2007, 10:29 PM

If it's not legal to buld it on public land then you have just as much a right to it as they do. People who don't abide by the rules get screwed. That's life. If it's a nice, safe stand, you can hunt on it. In our state, that's legal.
If it's on public land, it's public property.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:10 AM

I have seen several in different parts of the state on National Forest land where it is illegal. 9 times out of 10 they are in very poor condition and are beyond being used. I try to use this to my advantage to figure out where the hunters are hunting. I can't figure out why it is illegal to build a permanent stand, but not to chain a removable stand to a tree and leave it there. Unless it is for safety purposes and logging concerns. I've seen a few treestands that were chained to trees that were at least five years old.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:46 AM

In MN, you are also suppose to remove any portable stand or blind at the end of each hunting day.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

On State land here in Pa your not allowed to leave stands in the woods, let alone build one. Anyone who leavesa stand on State or other Gov land [:@]should be awarethere are consequences.

Quick Reply: Permanent stands on public land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.