Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Caught a Poacher

Old 12-03-2002, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caught a Poacher

Way to go Mod70, keep up the good work.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW INDEED!

Hey guys! No need to get nasty. Rememeber! You don't have a personal stake in MOD70's problem here. Is this particular issue hitting "a little close to home" ? Eh?

Let's all just agree to agree. From what I gather as the general concensus here (and I very much like that this does indeed appear to be the general concensus) WE, AS A DECENT REPRESENTATION OF HUNTERS AS A WHOLE, DO NOT APPEAR TO LIKE POACHERS! WE DO NOT LIKE THEM HERE, WE DO NOT LIKE THEM THERE, NO WE DO NOT LIKE THEM ANYWHERE, WE DO NOT LIKE THEM BOILED (or do we?), WE DO NOT LIKE THEM FRIED! WHY? CAUSE THEY'RE UNETHICAL & DON'T CARE HOW THEIR GAME DIES!

Report a poacher! Get a good description, plate #'s, etc. Take a picture and report 'em!
Old 12-04-2002, 09:02 PM
Spike

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>In OK deer are considered property of the land owner. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

So if one of my deer jumped my fence, and my neighbor shot it. That would be considered stealing? Or when you kill a deer off of state land and gut it you may be charged with vandlism. LOL just kidding.
I had a poacher one time, killed a doe off my land. Then came up and asked me if he could go and get it. I told him he could. I knew his family didnt have much money and was probobly hungry. So it wasnt a big deal. Anyway there are to many doe in oklahoma. Some need to be killed. Told him that if he wanted some more to come by after opening morning and i would have another one for him. If it was a big buck it would be a differnt story. I would have know he wasnt killing it for the meat. Hunting is so expensive nowa days that it is cheaper to go buy hamburger meat. With tags and licenses, then you have to find land. I feel for my cousin every year. He doesnt make much money and hunting is everything to him. Every year he is always struggling to buy tags and licenses, and so forth, just so he could do something that his ancesters had to do to survive (native american) It just doesnt seem right to me. <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> I know that the GW has other things to do besides patrol our place <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> What else do they have to do?
Old 12-04-2002, 09:07 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
WOW INDEED!

Hey guys! No need to get nasty. Rememeber! You don't have a personal stake in MOD70's problem here. Is this particular issue hitting &quot;a little close to home&quot; ? Eh?

Let's all just agree to agree. From what I gather as the general concensus here (and I very much like that this does indeed appear to be the general concensus) WE, AS A DECENT REPRESENTATION OF HUNTERS AS A WHOLE, DO NOT APPEAR TO LIKE POACHERS! WE DO NOT LIKE THEM HERE, WE DO NOT LIKE THEM THERE, NO WE DO NOT LIKE THEM ANYWHERE, WE DO NOT LIKE THEM BOILED (or do we?), WE DO NOT LIKE THEM FRIED! WHY? CAUSE THEY'RE UNETHICAL & DON'T CARE HOW THEIR GAME DIES!

Report a poacher! Get a good description, plate #'s, etc. Take a picture and report 'em!
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I prefer to shoot back when possible. Same for tresspass, except we can shoot first (you should see 'em run!!).

Of course I am kidding, sort of... Good job on catching the poacher, I love happy endings, let us know what happens now.

--Jim
Old 12-05-2002, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job Mod,you did the right thing!

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

BobS I live in OK too and your answer is half right as to getting the landowners permission that's for sure. By law the security of the landowner's trespass rights is permanent unless authorized by the landowner. This is the sole reason why getting permission to retrieve deer must be granted not because it's &quot;his&quot; deer. The first fence they jump over in their 2+ mile home range territory makes them everybody's deer.

But in no way are the deer the property of the landowner. I've had a game warden inspect us last year and we thanked him for helping to protect the deer on the property and he took it the wrong way. He was a bit of a a-hole but his entire angle of his lecture was the deer was the property of Oklahoma and he was there not for our benefit at all. BTW we don't know why he had a rough day because all of us were totally legal as he checked everywhere for signs of blood and correct licensing.