Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Caught a Poacher

Old 11-30-2002, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Caught a Poacher

nodose you are partially correct. In Oklahoma any time a deer is taken illegal there is also a charge called illegal taking of wild game. The fine for that is $600.00.If he trespassed that makes the deer illegally taken. Yes it is deer season and he did check it in but he gave false info as to what unit it was taken in and there is a fine for that. I didn't ask how much. I did not see him trespass and the warden took the .22 mag. I think he has a lot of trouble ahead of him.

Edited by - mod70 on 11/30/2002 22:26:17
Old 11-30-2002, 09:21 PM

did the game warden confirm that the deer was taken w/a .22 mag? that will play into the poaching equation. if the warden doesn't cover all his bases a decent lawyer is gonna have a field day. any poacher we can squash is a good thing for hunting but i have seen too often law officials getting caught up in the moment and being so happy that they got their man that they don't close the deal. if you know what im trying to say.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

The game warden took the .22 mag at the time he talked to him and got the blood from his pickup. It was the only weapon in his pickup. This is the second poacher I've caught in two years and the warden handled the last one like a champ. I think the biggest hurdle is convincing the District Attorney that it is worth his time to press the charges and follow through.

Old 11-30-2002, 11:37 PM

was your land posted with no hunting and no trespassing signs?

just curious
Old 12-01-2002, 12:47 AM

that shouldn't matter....if ok is like ohio...you have to have written permission to hunt or even be on someone else's property. i think that a lot of states are going to this protocal because of all of the hunting leases that are popping up around the country.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

Yes Dane the land is and was posted. I put up 35 new signs on 4 1/2 miles of road front in early October. That is in addition to all of ythe old signs that have been up for years. You can see at least two signs from anywhere you want to cross the fence. In fact I have had people comment that my signs are overkill.
Nodose is correct I don;t have to have any signs he knows he doesn't have permission.
Actually the signs say &quot;<center>No hunting or Trespassing
Posted and patroled</center>

Old 12-01-2002, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

Well I guess I will take some shots for this but!!! I think DNA Testing and all is a big waste of taxpayers money for a $600 deer violation. People with real crimes committed aganist them can't get thay kind of police help due to costs and the CO is using up public resources on a case he probably will loose. I also don't like vigilantees running around following people and playing cop. Just a perspective no personnel atack intended.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gentlemen, lets keep this topic civil. I see it starting to flame.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

If convicted the lowlife poacher pays for the DNA testing. This is not a flame Md ,but, stripper phil if as many deer were shot on your property as there is mine and all illegally you would change your mind.

Old 12-01-2002, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since when is patrolling your own property playing cop?If you really care about hunting you will not chastize people that help to get poachers convicted.

Quick Reply: Caught a Poacher

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.