Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does bad genetics prevent big racks

Old 08-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does bad genetics prevent big racks

Texas is the leader and pioneer of QDM. If the state biologist here say kill the spikes, I will.
I tend to believe the TPWD game biologists over dr deer.
Might be different in other states but Texas has a lot of deer, and the Biologist here say the spikes tend to stay with does longer and get to breed with them before big grand daddy gets his chance, this leads to more inferior deer.
So we kill them all.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Genetics play a role in how large a deer will grow at a mature age. Some deer will always sport a eight point rack while others will have a ten or twelve point frame. Food and minerals will play a big role in helping the deers body recieve all that it needs. This will in turn allow more of the growing process to work on the antlers. All in all yes genetics do play a role in the size of a deer's rack.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, genetics has a huge part in how big a deer cane get. Take for instance, if a 5'3 man and a 5'3 women get together most likely they are not going to have a kid that is 6'6'. They will have a kid that most likely is around the same height as them. The same goes for deer. Ifa mature deer that scores 100 has a fawn with a doe, it most cases the best that deer will be is in the general 100 area, it will be tough to get a deer to 180+ when its not in his genetics no matter what his feed is.

Also, I always thought deer rarely made it past 7 in the wild, but at a deer camp I visit every year, they have a doe that they have pictures of over the past 14 1/2 years that has a very unique ear that was cut on a fence when it was a yearling. I didn't believe it, but sure enough they have pictures of this deer every year and it is the same deer. I sure would never want to eat her, probably taste and chew like rubber.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM

Just what I gathered....

Bucks that have small racks may not contribute to having bad genetics. You have to look at the history of the buck as well. It depends on
nutrition and the resources available. A last season’s rack, some bucks may gross 130-140, and the following year may have a "basket rack"
due to poor nutrition or may have been injured at some point during it's development stage, thus causing a stunted growth.It's worth noting
that a bucks rack will develop and mature on average of 1/4" - 1/2" per day! Granted that they have proper nutrition and water source.

A bucksage is without a doubt a important factor as well.A 6-7 year old buck may havea large body, but has passed its genetic potential
and as a result he develops asmall rack. But, it doesn'tmean that hehas lost his "genetic potential" for passing on his good genes for producing
admirable offspring.

It's ALL about nutrition. Humans are the same way. In order for us to maintain a healthy life we need proper nutrition and water
Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 PM

I dont believe genetics are everything, but i believe they are alot of it. I think of it like body builders, some people just get big with good genetics, but everyone can become big. So, i think deer antlers can get bigger easier with good gentics, but every buck can have big antlers. (with good food supply, ect.)
Old 08-29-2008, 06:31 AM

The answer is YES.

The three most important things (in order) in having bucks with large antlers are

1). Age - Until age 6-7 a buck's rack will generally increase in size and mass. However, if he lives longer than that antler regression willeventually occur.
2). Food - The more a deer eats, the more protein makes it to his head
3). Genetics - All you have to do is look at modern dogs to see an example of proper (or improper - some are scary) gene selection. By selecting genes you enhance certain qualities your looking for including antlers on deer.

That being said, Iwould never keep deerinside a box to grow big antlers and call it hunting. QDM is the way to go and free range is the only way to hunt!