Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

Old 01-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

I dont know if my dad was telling stories to make sure we were carefull or not,but back in @1975 he told us kids that there was a hunter found with his hands still in a deer,knife still in hand,wrist cut,allbled out.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:10 PM

Well, I'm only 16 and have gotten 4 deer. I have only gutted one of the deer so Ihaven't cut myself yet. But I know it will happen sooner or later. My dad gutted my first three and he always cuts himself, no matter what. He's a clutz..I take after him there

Old 01-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't remember how many times I've nicked myself while cleaning deer! I have not cut myself in two years now, but usually on the first one I clean of the season, I've got to end up cutting myself!
Old 01-07-2007, 07:32 PM

I'm pretty rough at it but I haven't cut myself luckily. I wouldn't notice ifI did because of all of the blood from the deer[8D]My knives are usually pretty dull anyways.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I'm pretty rough at it but I haven't cut myself luckily. I wouldn't notice ifI did because of all of the blood from the deer[8D]My knives are usually pretty dull anyways.

Thats the fastest way to have a accident. You need to keep a sharp knife. I cut myself 2 years ago, nine stiches to my left forearm while gutting my deer.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I get small cuts every year but the worst cut wasn't even from my knife. i was cutting around the diaphram and cut my hand pretty deep on a rib that was shattered by the bullet. It hurt likecrazy and took longer than I would have expected to heal.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

I usually nick myself severing the windpipe. Both hands up into the cavity and as careful as I am I usually notice MY blood leaking after I clean up.

ORIGINAL: adamsdad
rib that was shattered by the bullet. It hurt likecrazy and took longer than I would have expected to heal.

When doing a doe, I usually cut all the way through the ribcage (so I don't have to reach up in and cut myself). Last year I was pulling the cage apart and got a bone shard in my hand. I pulled it out, but a small piece remained that I was unaware of for a day or so when it started to get infected.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

the first thing i was taught about gutting a deer was how NOT to cut yourself. and never have. i also cut the windpipe prettttty dang high.ive gutted around 15 deer and havent been cut. my knives are also kept very sharp. a dull knife is a great way to cut yourself. a sharp knife does all the work..fighting with dull knives or not paying attention will lead to cuts for sure. keep aware of the knife blade and keep it away from your hand and fingers. to cut the windpipe im in it both hands upto my elbows atleast. my left hand moves everything out of the way then slip in the right hand..with the knife..blade towards the outside of the deer away from my hands..slide it in following the body and neck of the deer. get it above my left hand..pull on the windpipe with the left and slice it with the right hand..blade facing the head of the deer. just not a time and place to be getting cut. if your careful you shouldnt get cut. though i know after the kill emotions and adrenaline are high and things happen..just gotta watch. i calm down first..ill sit down..get a drink...start undressing my outerlayers..rolling up sleeves..fill out the tag ect. that gives me time to calm myself and then i can gut...
Old 01-08-2007, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: mudtutl

The first deer I went to gut myself was a big ol' doe, my first Montana mulie. I was so hopped up that when I went to attach my tagby putting a slit through the earI just about cut off my left pointing finger at the knuckle.I've gutted, skinned and butcheredmany deer since and haven't cut myself once, mainly because I always rememberthe feeling of that knife slicing through my own flesh tothe bone.I also attach my tag to a leg or antlerwith tape now. I've always had to learn stuff the hard way.
i did this exact same thing this year when i got my doe in rifle season. made it the whole way through gutting and was so proud of myself for not cutting myself and then bam....did it while cutting the ear for the tag.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 AM

I have gotten smalls cuts, but nothing major from field dressing. My worst cut had nothing to do with gutting, and actually happened at age 5 after my dad gave me my first pocket knife; it used to be grandpa's. I wanted to try and wittle like dad and ended up cutting the tip of my right index finger off. Mom was a little angry with dad over that one.
I also happened to witness a soldier from the 101st stick a knife in his eye when cutting 550 parachute cord toward himself while in Iraq. Pretty scarey stuff.

Quick Reply: how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.