Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

who is your hunting Mentor or Legend

Old 01-27-2007, 09:06 AM

Default RE: who is your hunting Mentor or Legend

Hands down my pops
Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Site Buck Guru

Mine is Ron Petersen.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

I would have to say my Grandpa and my dad. I have always looked at the antler sheds and wall mounts at my grandpas. He would always sit out in his stand all day long. Maybe come home for a bite to eat but never miss more than half an hour. I started to hunt with my dad and have always loved it since then. I will always be a hunter !
Old 01-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

My dad.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:34 PM

my dad of course always will be but as far as the pro's go i would say the drury bothers have been a huge influence and you can;t forget stan potts who has shot more 200 class white tails than anyone
Old 01-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Their was a time when I would have said Dan Fitzgerald, BUT things do change, I would say Micheal Wadell for sure, B4 dan fitzgerald got all uppity and is all about money and sponsors and crap he was the man, I remember some of his first videos were brown itsdown, dont get me wrong I dont condone that but it was sure nice to see someone do on video what we all have thought about a few times...Almost everytime I see a fawn or 1.5 year old small doe all I can think about is how them backstraps would taste..m,m, good..Trust me I gassed a doe fawn up on county land this late season with my bow,Dont hate me too much, it is good eating..
Old 01-28-2007, 08:59 PM

My father is my mentor. I'm the only reason he still goes out hunting anymore. He loves the outdoors, but it's too physically demanding for his body now. He messed up his back really bad several years ago. Now those problems have spread to all of his joints and have caused a few of his discs to start breaking down.

I can see that pain in his face every morning we get up to go hunt or hit the water, but he still does it...for me. For gun season we hunt together now mostly (bow season I go solo, though I may have convinced him to play cameraman for me), we'll sit not caring if a deer even comes into shooting distance, if we get one we get one, we dont, oh well. We'll go the bar and relax and watch the game thats on TV before going home, we just enjoy the time we have together regardless of whether we take and animal or catch a fish. I cherish every hunt and every fishing trip we go on.