Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What kind of gift for "guide/host"???

Old 01-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default What kind of gift for "guide/host"???

I killed a really nice deer this year off of this guys recomendations. We hunt deer and turkey out of his cabin on public ground and some private ground that his family owns. I've been going for 3 years... He doesn't charge us anything to stay there and we always have a very good time.

This was the first year that I actually connected w/ a deer... and it turns out to be my largest deer ever (Greenscored 152 3/8 gross and 148 2/8 net). One of the largest deer to come off the properties period.

I would like to get him a gift of some sort to show my appreciation for everything that he's done for us. But I'm drawing a blank.

What would you guys suggest?[/align]
Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 PM

Default RE: What kind of gift for "guide/host"???

buck that big take him on a hunt in return, if he hunts. if not, find out what he likes and give something nice in return for 3 years of fun hunting.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

he's an avid deer and turkey hunter. Unfortunately I don't have the $$$ to take him ona hunt or anything like that.

But I would like to keep it personal.. and stay away from things like gift cards and the like...

Old 01-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

The guy who lets me hunt at his lease often talked about how his daypack that he uses to carry binoculars, water bottles, knife, grunt call, etc., etc., etc. to his blind was falling apart. So, for Christmas this year, I got him a nice new daypack at a local army surplus store. It's really nice, lots of pockets and straps. New digital camo pattern. Cost about $60. He seemed to really appreciate it. Not sure if that's enough tothank someone for a 150+ deer, but we don't grow them that big down here...
Old 01-04-2007, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

I would say get him a nice set of 10X50 Nikon bino's for 125$ or a real good browning skinning knife or something like that.........I wouldn't give him cash.......people expect cash after they get it once.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:07 AM

i would second the knife, pack, binos something along those lines. I don't think anyone can have too many good knives.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:27 AM

Meat from your kill. Sometimes anything other than this and a kind conversation is considered an insult.

A gift certificate for a fine resturant.
Or take his whole family out to eat and pick up the tab.
This way everyone appreciates you not just him.

Maybe choose a gift that everyone one can benefit from.
A waterproof outdoor radio perhaps???

Personal gifts that are appreciated...
Sportsmans license for coming year.
Collectable Case* Knives. I am sure he already has prefered cutlery.
Homemade Wine.
Book(s)for his personal interests.
Anything involving Bone or Stag.
MO
Old 01-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

You got some good suggestions for personal items already. What about something for the cabin? Not sure if he needs anything but we did that for a guy that weuse his bush cabin when we get drawn for moose he was tickled pink. We bought him a new wood stove(well it was used but ingreat condition, not to mention much betterthen the half barrel), pipe and installed it for him. We have since took him up a couple new cots and a back up generator that I was given and didn't really need. These things didn't cost us a lot but they meant the world to this unassuming individual.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

My father, brother & I bought a new tree stand for the guy who's land we hunt. He really appreciated it!! He since died and his wife still allows us to hunt their land. The first year after he died we got her a $100 gift card, she took it but told us to never do that again. She told usall she wantedwas some meat whenwe get something. Works for me!! Oh and she gave us the tree stand back to use as well!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:37 PM

I once gave a very nice single bladedlockblade hunting knife with a scrimshaw handle with brass pins and front/butt crowned with brass also. There was a beautifully etched black bear sceneon one side and buck on the other.
I was touched by his reaction the gift. He said that no one ever put such detailed thought into a hunting gift like that. He looked like he was trying not to show emotion and be stoic. His eyes were wet and I knw that I had hit a homerun with this gift. He still uses it to field dress all his game many years later. Sometimes when he's gutting deer he'll wave the knife up at me and say this knife is great!
Put some thought into what you want to give him. Make it count if he did something for you that means as much. Anybody can just go and buy something and say " here, thanks". He'll remember that gift for a very long time.

Quick Reply: What kind of gift for "guide/host"???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.