Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 12-05-2002, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Eleven does at once?

Not that unusual around here. I used to see sixteen and sometimes even over twenty deer come filing by. When in the woods it's easy to miss a buck when that many deer come by. My dad had nine deer come in on him and the ninth one was a huge nine point that he missed off of my stand. We used to be able to go drive around in the evening and see 100 deer in a field, now that's a lot of deer. With our T-zone hunts here in WI to limit deer, those sightings have dropped a lot, but you will still see up to ten deer come through at once.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:06 AM

I'm no expert, and I think deer are different in different areas of the country.....I know for a fact that deer do different things in this state depending on location, pressure and so forth......but here in SW VA....I've seen does "gang up" in December.....I normally don't see deer as often, but when I do(in December and January) I see 8, 9, 10 or more at a time.....then I think they'll split off as they begin birthing.....that would be my take on it...

In our line of work, we must be able to play Dixie and the Battle Hym of the Republic, With Equal Enthusiasm.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:12 AM

I've also seen 10+ deer together doesn't seem to be that uncommon.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:29 AM

Last Sunday I hunted all day long - last day of our rifle season. Counted 24 does and 2 button bucks all together, no horns. I am sure I saw some of the same does twice, but there were at least 13 individuals that walked by in single file line. Our retarded game and fish eliminated the rifle doe tags this year in my zone. Someone conned them into believing there weren't very many!