Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scariest moment in the woods?

Old 01-07-2007, 03:33 PM

Default RE: Scariest moment in the woods?

I actually got an interesting story from a friend that happened to his father and his uncle allegedly. This is in eastern kentucky and they had a 500sq ft cabin back in the boonies on some old family property. As the story goes one night after retiring from an unsuccessful day of hunting, a noise was heard outside the cabin. The uncle went outside to investigate, figuring maybe coyotes in the garbage or something similar. He suddenly ran back inside slamming the door saying he saw a set of yellow eyes staring at him from some brush and they suddenly took off after him. After getting inside the cabin they heard it on the porch pasing back and forth and it stopped infront of the locked door. Suddenly it began to beat on the door and they thought it was gonna get through. Both of them in the back of the room proceeded to unload a .357, 38spl, and two mags worth of buckshot from their shotguns into the door which was still being beatin on at the time. After the shooting was over a few moments later, even though the door was swiss cheese, they heard something walking on the tin roof of the cabin. They just reloaded and sat in the middle of the room until morning occasionally hearing some scratching outside and footsteps. Now i dont know how his father is about story telling but he isnt much of a liar but thats a crazy story.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2006HighSierra

I actually got an interesting story from a friend that happened to his father and his uncle allegedly. This is in eastern kentucky and they had a 500sq ft cabin back in the boonies on some old family property. As the story goes one night after retiring from an unsuccessful day of hunting, a noise was heard outside the cabin. The uncle went outside to investigate, figuring maybe coyotes in the garbage or something similar. He suddenly ran back inside slamming the door saying he saw a set of yellow eyes staring at him from some brush and they suddenly took off after him. After getting inside the cabin they heard it on the porch pasing back and forth and it stopped infront of the locked door. Suddenly it began to beat on the door and they thought it was gonna get through. Both of them in the back of the room proceeded to unload a .357, 38spl, and two mags worth of buckshot from their shotguns into the door which was still being beatin on at the time. After the shooting was over a few moments later, even though the door was swiss cheese, they heard something walking on the tin roof of the cabin. They just reloaded and sat in the middle of the room until morning occasionally hearing some scratching outside and footsteps. Now i dont know how his father is about story telling but he isnt much of a liar but thats a crazy story.
sorry i couldnt help it, i was all hyped up on MOUNTAIN DEW[8D][8D]...but a really interesting story...thanks for sharin
Old 01-07-2007, 04:02 PM

2006HighSierra: I have heard simular stories. A lot of times it turned out to be coons.

I remember twoversions from many years ago.
"Gravediggers" and "Woolybuggers"
Gravediggers were more "lizardlike" and were said to live under ponds.
Woolybuggers were more "critterlike" and were said to live in swamps.
Both were said to be about waste high or lesswith "yellow" eyes.

Never seen either one. Nor any evidence.
Who knows though???

Old 01-07-2007, 04:25 PM

I told him it was the Wampus cat, which is a big part of folklore here in the northeaster part of TN and into KY
Old 01-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK guys, try this one on for size. Very good read.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=12959
Old 01-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

OK guys, try this one on for size. Very good read.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=12959
nice story
Old 01-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Spike

I would have shot it. Could you imagine the fame you would get for shooting bigfoot?. I am from WV too and now everytime I go hunting I am going to think about it.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:18 PM

scariest moment for me, not reallly scary but it was instense happend this deer season. i seen a 8 point buck one day while in my stand, about 45 yards but i figured it was 70 yards so i didnt shoot with my crossbow (would have had a nice trophy for my first deer but i sucked a judging distance) and he walked from my left to my right in this open field into this other clearing across a line of trees. 2 days later seen a 4 point in the same position and he walked off in the same place as the 8 pointer. i was pissed, so got down, paced out the distance and realized i was way off and could have got both of them. I then slowly and quietly tried to cut the 4 pointer off, he walked to the end of the trees and cut into the clearing, so i walked through the other end. i walked on a path and come to the clearing, i look up and see the 4 pointer running into the bush on the other side of the clearing. I was just about to leave and then i see some bigger antlers, its the 8 pointer and he definately seen me (hes about 70 yards actually this time). i only have my cross bow and my knife is on my belt which is under my coveralls. i am frozen staring at the buck while he stares me down. we had a good 10 minute staring contest (no joke) and then he turns around . i then reach for my deer call, give him a doe call and he stops, turns around quickly and grunts back and starts walking towards me. im scared ****less that hes coming towards me, he's cautious but hes stil coming. i crouched down when he turned around, behind a tree. he grunts one more time then the other buck pops out of the bush again and the 8 pointer wheezes or growls or whatever it was (a loud breath of air) and runs away. i seen him a few more times this season but he was 100+ yards in the grassy feild. next year he better be bigger cuz hes going down
Old 01-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats the kind of stuff that keeps us playing the game mike!Stay on him and you will have him.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: 2006HighSierra

I told him it was the Wampus cat, which is a big part of folklore here in the northeaster part of TN and into KY
"The Wampus Cat" I forgot all bout that one.

12GAUGEGUYI would have shot it. Could you imagine the fame you would get for shooting bigfoot?.
There is no fame worthy of slaughtering an innocent animal.
The carcus would no doubt be taken from you.
No meat.
No skin.
No bone for handles and stuff.
I can do without fame.
IfI did shoot one I would not tell many. At least not till after I got my share.

I don't think you would get it out of the woods any way.
It's kin will carry it away. Dead or Alive.
And perhaps you too.

Quick Reply: Scariest moment in the woods?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.