Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scariest moment in the woods?

Old 01-07-2007, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scariest moment in the woods?

Who is to say it didnt happen scout.Most hunters can see there truck while they are deer hunting.Theres alot of woods out there that doesnt get human activity at all.And new discoveries are being made all the time.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:39 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

One time Mrs. Six and I were scouting for turkeys, when all of the sudden I heard a crash behind me. I turned around and saw her face down in the mud, having tripped over a large fallen tree. She was shaken up, but fine. Not really that scary a moment, but I was a little panicked until I saw her start to get back up.
The same thing happened to me. When I turned around and saw my GF laying face down, I asked..... See any tracks? Not only did I get "the look", I also got the finger!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: furgitter

Who is to say it didnt happen scout.Most hunters can see there truck while they are deer hunting.Theres alot of woods out there that doesnt get human activity at all.And new discoveries are being made all the time.
I appreciate you.
I expected bashing and poking.
Yes itwas in the Boonies and mostly the only people I ever saw/see out here is Amish. Best smallmouth and rockbassfishing in the world.
The actual spot of the "sighting"was about a 5 mile hike from my old home. I would pass only one house getting there.
Mostthelocals call it the "White Thing"
Old 01-07-2007, 09:27 AM

I thought it was funny... it is wierd though...it does make you wonder about the legitamacy of Bigfoot. With all of the sightings and the sheer amount of land in the U.S. I find hard not to believe in some sort of critter like this.

ORIGINAL: whitetailstalker14

ok now this one is strange.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 AM

My scariest moment was when I fell out of a tree I was standing in. It was my first year hunting, so I was that 12-13 yrs old range. I was standing on a limb about 6-7 feet up and got knocked out by a wind gust. I lay there on my back for a couple minutes just wigglin different extremeties to make sure everything was still working. After I figured out I was alright, I got up and found a spot to sit. Killed my first buck not an hour after sitting down.

I was a little sore the next couple days. Between falling and then dragging a deer that wieghed more than I did field dressed, I was pretty beat. That accident scared the crap out of me, and for the next few years I would only hunt from the gournd. Now I will use an actual tree stand, but I always wear a harness.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, I wasn't going to post this, but seeing what everyone else posted.....

Take it for what it's worth.

About 4-5 years ago, a buddy of mine and I were walking into the woods on a state-park I've been hunting for years. It was about an hour before light. We got to a spot where we split;he went west and I turned south. I went about 40-50 yards and was just overcome with a feeling of dread. Almost terror. My knees got weak and I had a hard time standing.For the first time ever, I understood themeaning of the phrase "Paralyzed with fear".I never saw or heard anything, just that something was there and that Iwouldn't have a chance against it if it cameat me.I squatted down off to the side of the trail, pulled out my hunting knife and held my bow out in front of me. I sat like that till it started to get lighter out. All of a sudden, everythingjust feltnormal, like someone pulled a blanket off me. It was gone. I strained my eyes and ears for movement or sound the whole time, but never heard or saw anything.

Later on in the parking lot, I told my buddy. We're good friends and I thought he'd get a laugh. I was half way through my story and he interupts and says "I had the exact same experience".He said the exact same thing I just wrote. He walked about the same distance from me before he got the same feeling. He said he nocked an arrow and just stood there for about as long as I (about 30-40 minutes).

I was 35 and he was 37. We're both about 200-210 pounds, 6' tall and in very good shape. We can both take pretty good care of ourselves, and we both sat about 100 yards away from each other totally terrified of something we never saw, heard or smelled, only felt. I've never had an experience like that ever again and I still hunt the same immediate area and walk the same trails at the same times.

I live in n.e. Illinois and I was in an area of about 1200 acres of woods.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:47 PM

Thats pretty freaky. I've had feelings like that before when I've been home alone, I now am living in a large city and I'm originally from a small country town. Every sound during the night makes me jump or question the saftey of the house.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know if anybody remembers the heavens gate club-cult or whatever it was.They were a bunch of fruitcakes who killed themselves because hail bop commet was coming close.Whell the property was demolished except for the swimming pool,and i was hired to trap coyotes in the area.I went through a hole in the fence and got hit with diarea on the spot.I went back twards the truck and i was fine,I went through the fence and had it again,so i went and crapped in the empty pool.I dont know if it was fast food or the boogey man.but i remember thinking,im not scared of you.Then a big palm branch fell,missed me by 20ft but it fell.I caught a bunch of coyotes there and never had another incident but i think about it now and then.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: bowman15

About 4-5 years ago, a buddy of mine and I were walking into the woods on a state-park I've been hunting for years. It was about an hour before light. We got to a spot where we split;he went west and I turned south. I went about 40-50 yards and was just overcome with a feeling of dread. Almost terror. My knees got weak and I had a hard time standing.For the first time ever, I understood themeaning of the phrase "Paralyzed with fear".I never saw or heard anything, just that something was there and that Iwouldn't have a chance against it if it cameat me.I squatted down off to the side of the trail, pulled out my hunting knife and held my bow out in front of me. I sat like that till it started to get lighter out. All of a sudden, everythingjust feltnormal, like someone pulled a blanket off me. It was gone. I strained my eyes and ears for movement or sound the whole time, but never heard or saw anything.

Later on in the parking lot, I told my buddy. We're good friends and I thought he'd get a laugh. I was half way through my story and he interupts and says "I had the exact same experience".He said the exact same thing I just wrote. He walked about the same distance from me before he got the same feeling. He said he nocked an arrow and just stood there for about as long as I (about 30-40 minutes).

I was 35 and he was 37. We're both about 200-210 pounds, 6' tall and in very good shape. We can both take pretty good care of ourselves, and we both sat about 100 yards away from each other totally terrified of something we never saw, heard or smelled, only felt. I've never had an experience like that ever again and I still hunt the same immediate area and walk the same trails at the same times.

I know what you felt. I have also heard of this story many times. Even heard of people running clean through three strands of bob wire because of it.

I have heard rumors that certain "creatures" can communicate with their mind.
I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS.
After YEARS of research andobservation I "may" be inclined to think that an animal may release a "scent" that our instints pick up.
We may not pick this "scent" up with our nose but with the "back of our mind".
This is more of a defense mechanism for the "creature""if" it is so.

Iknow of a place called "Witches Hollow".
Everything is green at this little hollow regardless of the time of year.
The same family owns a few thousand acres around it.
Noone goes there at night.
They say there is some kind of "Spirit" there and is said to be invisible and destructive.
I dont believe this but I dont go there at night.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: bowman15

i've had that same feeling a few times....you just know when something or something is watching or around you.
its like a sixths sense.

i had that same feeling in broad daylight once, I was in the woods one time scouting one spot and got that feeling, had a little 22. on me (keep it with me just in case i see some kind of kritter) when i was rounding a hill and just got a feeling something was watching me. i fired a cupple of stots into the ground to see if anything would run and nothing happend. later that day i found a big coyote den 50 yards from that some spot. one of its residents and a paw that was the size of my palm. and i have some abnormal big hands.

so yeah i can imagen what you went through.

Quick Reply: Scariest moment in the woods?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.