Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scariest moment in the woods?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scariest moment in the woods?

im gettng more and more interested in the thought of a deer stand after reading all of these.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 AM

Well my experience was not as frightening as some of these. I was visiting my Family in Texas last summer. My family owns an island off of the Boliver penninsula. Thats near Galveston Bay for all you non-Texans. Anyway, My grandparents own a beach house which is about 750-1000yds across the Intercoastal Canal. We were sitting on the porch looking over at the island with binoculars. My family uses the island to duck hunt and fish on. They built a resevoir and also raise Donkey and goats on the island(they keep some of the brush down). Well we saw these wolves (marsh wolves that usually always run in packs eccept for the rogues, and eat lots of everything...including many cats and dogs) swimming across the canal twords the island. Now if anyonethat hasseen a pack of wolves swim knows that its an awesome site. Anyway...the wolves have always been a problem on the island because, they eat donkey and goats like big Macs. We grabed a .30 carbine from the closet and got in the boat to go over to the island and blast some livestock eatin wolves. When we got there, we walked up and down the island looking for them, but they went deep at the site/smell of us comming, and we could not find them. Its getting dark and we said to hell with this and took back up the hill. When I got to the top...before Grandpa...I suprised a LARGE donkey that had gotten wild and crazy(the deer flies literally drive animals crazy). He showed teeth brayin and started charging me. About that time, Grandpa took off his hat and started stomping and yelling. 9 times/10 this will stop them, but that 1 time...you better be able to run fast. Donkey stopped at first, but then started again. I did'nt want to shoot our livestock, so I started chunkin 75mph sea shells at him (large sharp seashells) Anyway..bad idea..he got even more pissed and we just ran. Luckily, the donkey got bored chasing us off, and I think he was just defending his territory, so he turned around and left. It was a close call that almost could have killed one of us. Those of you that have been around a pissed off donkey know that things can turn nasty real quick. We got back and 4 beers later, we were laughing our a$$es off about it. Close call though.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: buckhunter14

While fishing one evening, I found a boat overturned on the small private lake I live on. There are 4 other houses on the lake, and the kids across the lake were having a huge party/bon fire. I figured some drunk kids came out swimming, tipped the boat and left it there. The next morning, about 6 a.m., I got up to do some pike fishing. Heading to my honey hole, I noticed something scrap along side the boat. I look behind the boat into the fog and see the elbow of a person. This was by far, the scarriest thing of my life. Afterwards, I called the police and all. They went looking for it with divers and things, and persisted that there was no dead person, just 2 swans. They asked me, ARE YOU SURE IT WASN'T a swan. Thinking I don't know the difference, gosh.
If you find them floating tie a rope around the ankle and then tie the other end of the rope too something that wont sink. Ivefound5 floaters in my lifetime.One was a buddy who went for a midnight canoe ride when he was drunk. Another guy who disapeared swimming while drunk at a beach. An Infant that was murderred by his father and was thrown in the river. A guy who fell into the river while working and another guy who committed suicide!

Tie them off and make a phone call.. The last one we found we had just started fishing and we were watching seagulls dive bomb a spot,, we motorred over and it was a guy floating.. Tied his ankle off,, called the coast gaurd, they came out got on out boat untied the guy and tied him off an theyre boat. They took our names and we dropped our lines back in the water.. They said arent you guys disgusted by this? no we won t loose any sleep over it,, besides the walleye are biting big time!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: buckhunter14

For those who haven't heard myDou Dead Men Story.

I have actually found to dead people; one while hunting, the other fishing.

While fishing one evening, I found a boat overturned on the small private lake I live on. There are 4 other houses on the lake, and the kids across the lake were having a huge party/bon fire. I figured some drunk kids came out swimming, tipped the boat and left it there. The next morning, about 6 a.m., I got up to do some pike fishing. Heading to my honey hole, I noticed something scrap along side the boat. I look behind the boat into the fog and see the elbow of a person. This was by far, the scarriest thing of my life. Afterwards, I called the police and all. They went looking for it with divers and things, and persisted that there was no dead person, just 2 swans. They asked me, ARE YOU SURE IT WASN'T a swan. Thinking I don't know the difference, gosh.

For the Hunting bit:
Last spring I was up in Northern Michigan and was hunting some state lanf for Spring Turkey. Figures We were having no luck. We were just camping in a tent. The day before, we had heard of a man "getting lost" in the state land around there. They hadn't located his car or anything though. My dad and I split up for the noon-time hunting and stalking. Shortly I had walked across a small pine plantation and thought I saw a person laying down. I circled around them and hollered once so they didn't shoot me or get scared. Needless to say, I had to take the police out there and he wasn't lost. It was a suicide.
find one more and i'd bet they start asking you the questions
Old 01-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

find one more and i'd bet they start asking you the questions

lol
Old 01-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow some nice stories here
Old 01-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=8547
Old 01-05-2007, 06:07 PM

I don't have any stories of my own. But when my dad was in his 20's he was out in the 80 acres of woods my grandparents still own, he was by himself and he was back in there chopping firewoods. He heard the loudest scream he'd ever heard in his whole life, it was a linx, it scared the crap out of him so he jumped on the tractor and fired it up right away and drove off as fast as he could. He never seen the linx but he knew from the sound that that's what it was. The last thing you'd expect to hear in the middle of the woods is a really freakin' loud scream, I'd crap my pants on the spot I know.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

SwampTHING, That is some serious bad karma!

My scariest moment was when two buddies of mine and I were 3-across on the bench seat of an OLD (at the time) Ford Ranger driving up the mountain.

It was winter time with about 4-5 inches of snow on the ground, butit was a sunny afternoon well above freezing and the ground was a really soft mix of melting snow, clay, and "ground hog shale". The old road that we were going on was a steep one along the side of a big ridge that ran to the top of a mountain. It was also very narrow, slanted slightly (outward)in places, and had a long, long drop off on the driver's side down to the bottom of the deep "hollar".

The worst part was that my buddy's ol' ranger kept stalling out on some of the steepest parts and every time he'd pop the clutch, the tires would spin, and the whole truck would slide toward the bare edge of the dropoff until the wheels caught again. There was absolutely no way to turn around. And there was absolutely ABSOLUTELY no backing down the way we came. We had to "endeavor to persevere", all the while yelling, and cussing, holding on with our arses tighter thana snare drum. I so much wanted to vault out of that cab and walk, but I think that all of us were of the mindset that we were kind of in this together, so instead, I just closed my eyes at the appropriate times and said the Lord's Prayer...............I never was so glad to come to flat ground again when we got to the top.....Once we finally stopped, we had to get out and either scream or laugh hysterically because we were all so full of adrenaline
Old 01-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Swamp Thing, I'm not really up for tying up dead guys. Not my thing.

Quick Reply: Scariest moment in the woods?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.