Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sentimental? Well, maybe.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Sentimental? Well, maybe.

Our season lasts until Jan 1st here and we got two does last Saturday before the season ended. It was either sex so we took two does. The one I got turned out to be pregnant. I felt like a dog! My dad said he had that happen once and that he would never take one that late in the season again. Am I wrong for feeling bad that I took the doe?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:42 PM

Default RE: Sentimental? Well, maybe.

no i dont think so. you didnt know it was pregnant when you shot it.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:46 PM

I would probably feel bad for a while but like uncballers45 said, you had no way of knowing at that point.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

The odds are against shooting a doe that is not pregnant at this stage of the season, the majority of does are already bred although there are still remaining ones.

Should you feel sentiment, sure, that's what makes us human.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:11 PM

I shot a doe late season bowhunting last year and she had 3 fawns in her. I felt bad for a bit. But it needed to be done to keep the doe population down.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:38 PM

It happens. Don't feel bad. You didn't know.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to sound too hard, but you were there to do some killing, right? You just killed more than you planned. You shouldn't feel bad at all. In my area there are way too many doe, so guilt isn't really a factor. I think everyone will feel some remorse for killing any animal, or at least should, but as mentioned above by Rob, they're pretty much all pregnant at this point.

My friends and i went hunting on Saturday and we killed three doe. All three were pregnant with twins. I thought this was strange, I may be ignorant on the subject, but I was always told that doe normally give birth to one fawn and only sometimes more. The main reason offered was that the winter is hard on the pregnant doe and she will most likely not be able to support the requirements of more than one fawn and will pass one or more to ensure the success of at least one offspring. Of course not consciously or anything, just an act of nature and survival.

Anyone have any info on this? Am i ignorant or was this a strange coincidence?

Thanks,
KP
Old 01-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone has there thing that makes them feel that way.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I agree, and I wasn't trying to sound cold about it, but my point is, he didn't do anything wrong, so he shouldn't feel any worse about the hunt than he would any other, that's all. I feel remorse for any life I take, but I continue to do it, because I'm a killer and so are you!
Good luck,
KP
Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Around here the large majority of does have 2 fawns. Some have 1 and I've seen a few with 3.

Quick Reply: Sentimental? Well, maybe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.