Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head shots?

Old 12-31-2006, 01:59 PM

Default RE: Head shots?

ORIGINAL: furgitter

Ya got a point whitetail,Didnt mean to irritate everyone.I think Dan and I dont get allong no matter what the issue is.Youll have that sometimes.Sorry everybody.
ORIGINAL: whitetailstalker14

furgitter and dan, cant you guys like pm eachother instead ofanoying everyone?
Not quite true furgitter. We did agree on a few things in the wolf thread. The only time I really got annoyed with you was when you tried calling BS in my poaching post. But thats off topic.

whitetailatalker14,
It sounds like you were the only one getting annoyed. We were having a healthy debate and if you were to read it, you may learn something from our different views. We stayed on topic and thats what this forum is about.

p.s. don't you have some homework to get done before going back to school next week?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man i hate to drag this out again, but my post read something like Id like to call BS on that poaching thread,But it sounded like you had them dead to rights.(in front of your gate!) So i offered to help you get them busted.People are easier to call in than any animal.I speak the same language(borrowed from Mr.Primos)If you realy want them busted id think you would take any helpyou can get.
ORIGINAL: _Dan

Ya got a point whitetail,Didnt mean to irritate everyone.I think Dan and I dont get allong no matter what the issue is.Youll have that sometimes.Sorry everybody.
ORIGINAL: whitetailstalker14

furgitter and dan, cant you guys like pm eachother instead ofanoying everyone?
Not quite true furgitter. We did agree on a few things in the wolf thread. The only time I really got annoyed with you was when you tried calling BS in my poaching post. But thats off topic.

whitetailatalker14,
It sounds like you were the only one getting annoyed. We were having a healthy debate and if you were to read it, you may learn something from our different views. We stayed on topic and thats what this forum is about.

p.s. don't you have some homework to get done before going back to school next week?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:21 PM

Man i hate to drag this out again, but my post read something like Id like to call BS on that poaching thread,But it sounded like you had them dead to rights.(in front of your gate!) So i offered to help you get them busted.People are easier to call in than any animal.I speak the same language(borrowed from Mr.Primos)If you realy want them busted id think you would take any helpyou can get.

Than quit. I told you why it is not possible to bust them in that thread. You just don't get it, do you?
One last thing, you never answered my question about what the name was of your critter control company.

OK, hijack over.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Seems kind of callous to go for a head shot on deer. Regardless of how good a shot you think you are you can't control a sudden movement of the deers head at the very moment that you've reached the end of your trigger squeeze. Thats a small target and it does'nt have to shift much to change the POI to an area that will allow the deer to run off and suffer for days before it expires.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

We eat squirrel and head shots is the way we do it! As for deer, have brought downmany a Doe with head shots.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont remember you asking Dan,Its Anytime Animal Control.You can google it in San Diego-Los Angeles-New york-Madison Wi. Minoqua Wi----
Old 12-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

We eat squirrel and head shots is the way we do it!
Reb, I use my 12g slug gun for squirrels and go for a shoulder shot. Leaves a good blood trail and I usually don't have to track em far.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:31 PM

nope, it finishes em' off nice and quick
Old 01-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Leafrivermac

We eat squirrel and head shots is the way we do it!
Reb, I use my 12g slug gun for squirrels and go for a shoulder shot. Leaves a good blood trail and I usually don't have to track em far.

I think you forgot to insert your smiley!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:37 PM

I think there's big differences between head shots on squirrels and head shots on deer:

1. 30% of a deer's head is snout, and a hit there will sometimes result in a lostdeer. A squirrel shot in the nose or mouth with a .22 is almost always bagged. A lost squirrel is much more acceptable than a lost deer.

2. A deer shot in the head sometimes results in a disgusting mess, ie: eyes and teeth and brainshanging out. The deer then has to be transported, registered, hung and processed. This situation is disrespectful, and it sucks for other people to have to see it. If a head shot on a squirrel gets messy, you simply cut it off and move on.

I would almost never take a head shot on a deer. Even when finishing a deer off, I usually will shoot it through the ribs. Sometimes I carry a .22 pistol while deer hunting, and I will use that to finish one, doesn't make a mess and saves me half a dollar.