Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head shots?

Old 12-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Head shots?

You are quite a shot R.R.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: furgitter

Hi Dan! I was wondering when you would show up.If i can brain a squirrel@ treetop I dont have trouble doing the same to a deer at the same distance.Jaw shooting deer comes from shooting at running deer,or just bad shooting.Over the last 30 yrs,ive scored 100% on my attempts on head shots.I dont get cocky,there sure shots just like a lung shot at 150 yds.
ORIGINAL: _Dan

Shoot behind the shoulder. Head shots are a low percentage. I recall a thred not to long ago about a guy shooting one in the jaw. Let them walk if you don't have a high percentage shot.
Ahhhhh furgitter, I miss our old talks buddy!

I was going to put in my original post that I was not knocking anyones shooting ability. Then I thought, nah, I'll see what my old buddy furgitter has to say to me.

No matter how good a shot someone is, things can go wrong. If a deer turns his head as you pull the trigger, you risk wounding the animal and it can die a slow death.

There are better shots to take. I know you won't like this either, but you owe it to the animals.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang right things go wrong,this year i had a shot from one side of a ditch to the other.10ft at most. I was gonna flip his wig.Buck taking a drink.When i squeezed off the gun went CLICK! We both stared at each other with great big eyeballs.and he ran away.I didnt slam the bolt on my carbine hard enough and it wasnt locked.I always let it home slow then tap it so it closes.Well,not enough that time i guess.I can still see the look on that deers face! I couldnt help but laugh.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:16 PM

I guess I'll never understand you furgitter.

Let me ask you one question. Why do you take the low percentage head shot and risk wounding a deer?

Besides "Because I can" and "I'm a great shot."
Old 12-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me there all 100%,I wont pull the trigger on a mabe.I guess it all comes down to aiming small.Things can go wrong,sure.A branch,a head turn, etc. Nothing is for sure.I just know ive never missed a head shot(when i operated my rifle correctly) However,Ive missed a standing deer at 100 yds.What happened? I dont know,something went wrong i guess.So to answer your question,WHY take the low percentage shot? I dont.Its 100% if i pull the trigger,just like a standing shot in the chest.

I guess I'll never understand you furgitter.

Let me ask you one question. Why do you take the low percentage head shot and risk wounding a deer?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:32 PM

I feel bad for the deer that will suffer because you messed up and shot it in the jaw. I've seen deer that it has happened to, not a good sight. But then again, that won't happen, because your shots are always perfect.

Edited to add: You never really answered my question and only quoted part of my other post. I asked why, other than the fact you are a great shot.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im better than some,as a matter of fact,im darn good within my limmits.I dont like seeing wounded deer at all.And i sure dont like tracking them.Mabe thats why.They drop every time.
That offer to help bust those poachers is still good.

I feel bad for the deer that will suffer because you messed up and shot it in the jaw. I've seen deer that it has happened to, not a good sight. But then again, that won't happen, because your shots are always perfect.

Edited to add: You never really answered my question and only quoted part of my other post. I asked why, other than the fact you are a great shot.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 PM

Why is this in the deer section?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 PM

LOL Did you forget to clean your ears? I told you I know who they are. But thats off topic.

I guess you still don't get it. Keep up with the head shots and you will mess it up, if you already haven't.

I'll keep shooting them in the bigger target, behind the shoulder. Hmmmm, maybeI should start shooting for the head, those 20-40yrd tracking jobs are tough.

Then again, I see a lot more deer in a year than you do, so I can wait for a better shot.[8D]

p.s. its spelled season not seasion
Old 12-30-2006, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Predator26

Why is this in the deer section?
Why is it on here at all? His new thread about weapons has a lot to do with deer hunting too.

Quick Reply: Head shots?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.