Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Too Big??

Old 01-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Too Big??

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I get sick of the room for error statements. There is no such thing as "room for error"
Absolutely. People who are not proficient riflemen have NO business whatsoever with a magnum in their hands. Stepping up to a magnum is something you do AFTER you have mastered basic marksmanship skills and are able to handle the significant recoil and noise associated wtih shooting them.

Sorry, I know that was off-topic, but had to rant a bit...

Assuming that the bullet is of proper design for penetration on elk-sized game, I don't see why a 150gr. bullet wouldn't do the trick out of a .300 WSM. Folks take elk every year using 130 and 150 grain bullets out of their .270s... The problem is, that a 150 grain bullet designed for penetration on elk may have different ballistic characteristics and trajectory than a 150 grain bullet designed for proper expansion when used ondeer-sized game. As a result, you likely will end up having to resight your rifle anyway.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

I would think of your not real proficient shooting a rifle then the 300 mag would give you room for error ...

dd
I would think that trying to make up for poor shooting by using a magnum is only going to make your poor shooting worse, and result in missed, or worse, wounded game. A deer with a 100 gr. .243 through the lungs is going to be a heckuva lot deader than a deer with the latest 180 gr. .300 Super Duper Mag. through the guts. I'd much rather see someone who is proficient with a light-recoiling .243 on my lease than someone who closeshis eyes and prays when he sets off a round from his magnum.
I agree 100%
I get sick of the room for error statements. There is no such thing as "room for error"
I agree 100% too, BUT that is not what the thread is about. All thegamehunter wants to know is if 180 gr from a 300 WSM is too big for deer size game. Lets get back on topic and answer his question.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 PM

Haha... Thanks Retrieverman! people are definately getting way off topic here!