Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opinion on sidearm caliber.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:22 AM

Default RE: Opinion on sidearm caliber.

ORIGINAL: CervidSlayer

I would recomend the .45 I have shot 1911 models and other ACP pistols. It has the knockdown power that you need, and it is a large bullet with plenty of mass. 9mm are great, but a charging wounded bear or large deer would require more. You can get some nice pistols in .45 ACP for a reasonable price. Kimber arms makes some great pistols in .45
"If you cant get it done with a .45...you cant get it done" Check these out. I have shot some of these, and they are great.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/
The Kimbers are nice. Especially if you dont want to pay the money for the finest ACP pistols ( Colt, Springfield, HK)
Old 12-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd go with the .45 ACP over the .44 Mag. Not only is it generally easier and more enjoyable to shoot and master, but ammo can be had for a lot less money. Plus a full-sized magnum revolver canreally start weighing you down during long walks or hikes.

I carry an HK P2000 .40 S&W as my primary in and out of the woods. Around here the animals tend not to be very large, and the bad guys are pretty much the same size everywhere.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

4 or 6" wheel gun in 357 magnumitis... or the same in 44 magnumitis... the L frame S&W (686+) fits me perfectly so that is what i holster... 45 Colt isn't a bad choice either... on a ruger blackhawk, super blackhawk or redhawk platform that'll take what that round can TRULY deliver... and if you really need to be the "big cheese" there's always the 454 casull the 480 ruger, 460 S&W, 500 S&W, 475 Linebaugh, 500 Linebaugh, and so on and so forth....
Old 12-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

.45 here too.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a .40 S&W, it's a great cartridge, and it's got plenty of power, and recoil that's very easy to manage. 10 shots too, it'll be the perfect gun in case a bear charges, 'cause I'm not sure anyone would have the nerve to aim at a bear with a revolver. Just My 2 Cents.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:54 AM

I would recommend the .44 Magnum or Special, but, the .45 ACP is also an excellent self defense cartridge.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:48 PM

I have both .44mag and Kimber 45acp. I have shot hogs with both but i had to use 3 rounds out of the kimber to drop my first hog and to top it off it was charging me not a good feeling. The last hog i got i had my .44 one shot at 30yard and the hog was down. There is no better feeling than that.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

I would suggest 44 mag.To me the most important thing to think about is to use the gun you are most comfortable with.Another thing to consider, if your state has a concealed carry law you have to be licensed to carry a side arm or carry it on the outside of your clothing.

My 2 cents
Old 12-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

A nice 44 revolver will be your most versatile.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:17 PM

I think this requires a better definition of what he wants the handgun for"

If the threat is mostly human I agree with a autoloading pistol in 45 or 40 cal would be my choice. This would offer good close range protection against dogs or coyotes as well. An accurate 45 can alsobust rabbits pretty well and hardball ammo isn't to bad a "finisher" for deer. However a 45 auto is poor choice for hunting deer and an even worse "stopping" pistol for bear.

If he wants a pistol where Bear defense is a primary purpose I think a 44 magwould be a good choice (if the bears are black bears) if the bears areGriz then other larger handguns or even better,long arms are called for.

If black bear is a side concern but not impossible and he reloads I might suggest a 4 5/8 blackhawk in 45 colt or 41 mag. A little lighter than most 44mag revolvers and the shortguns is easy to carry.Many of us find that the single actions point very well. He can load and shoot lots of cast bullets cheap, and stiff handloads loads from a 41 or 45 Blackhack are good deer medicine and should be effective bear deterents (at least as effective as most folks would want to shoot from a 40 ounce pistol with much frequency) a longer barrel would extend the accurate range for most shooters but decrease the ease of carry..its a tough choice.

Another choice might be a 357 mag revolver. Its obviosly less effective against a bear and IMHO a marginal deer gun unless you are a good marksman who will really pick his target. But its a very flexible cartridge. Loaded hot a deer is not out of the questionand mild loads or 38 specials you can shoot all day.

One other note is the revolver is different from what he has and something different might be a little fun.

As for me I carry a 4 5/8 blackhawk in 45 loaded with 250 SWC at 1000fps when deer or bear would notbe legal. If bear or deer is in season then its my7 1/2 SBH with a 240 XTP in a fairly warm load.

Quick Reply: Opinion on sidearm caliber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.