Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Using maps, gps, etc. to find remote hunting spots

Old 12-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Using maps, gps, etc. to find remote hunting spots

I only hunt public land also and along with topo's I check out flashearth.com

check this out also
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1845498&mpage=1&key=&#184981 7

topozone.com is great
Old 12-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

also if you are wanting to get deep in the woods this firewood carrier can easily be made into a deer cart. Someone on this forum posted it a while back. Not bad for $40.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44599
Old 12-19-2006, 01:24 PM

Thanks Davs, I was going to work with my neighbor to make a game cart from scratch with used bike parts, but something like that wood hauler would be a better starting point.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

yeah I myself need to take trip down to harbor freight and see if they have it in the store. Best of luck to you
Old 12-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mufan

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I use delorme topo usa, DNR maps and compasses. Someday I'll get a GPS unit but for now I use maps. With delorme you can download aerials and usgs overlays and then do 3D flyovers with the software. You can print out maps at all kinds of scales. It is great for doing extensive map recon before going in on foot. When I do get in on foot I mark the maps I have printed out with different things, rubs, scrapes, animal trails, etc. I also check out what look like natural funnels on the map and sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. Remember though, the deeper you go in the farther you will have to drag out.
Delorme topo usa package is 295 bucks! It says it is a complete wireless gps package. Is this the same thing you are using?
I use the topo east region and it is $50.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Spike

Do topo maps measure "as a crow flies" or do they take into account the changing elevations when calculating distance. If it is as a crow flies then the mileage listed on the scale is most likely always shorter than it actually is if in a mountainous region, correct?
Old 12-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The delorme software I use measures actual distance. It will also give you a profile of your plotted trail detailing the changes in elevation that the trail makes. You can also measure as the crow flies. You can also print 3D renderings at different angles of elevation of a particular map so that you can "see" the changes in elevation.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mufan

Do topo maps measure "as a crow flies" or do they take into account the changing elevations when calculating distance. If it is as a crow flies then the mileage listed on the scale is most likely always shorter than it actually is if in a mountainous region, correct?
Yes, they are measured as the crow flies or in aerial miles. If you have to go up and down that is going to add to the distance you have to travel.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Spike

which GPS unit do you have? aRe there any you would recomend or stay away from? I don't want to buy the most expensive one out there but I don't want to short myself of useful features either.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 PM

The problem with many maps out there is that the USGS maps are outdated and don't show the public lands. Those that show public lands don't show any other valuable information for hunting. I'm currently working on maps that will have most information hunters/fisherman look for on the map. The upcoming maps will be in NY, NJ, PA area.

Here is a smaple of the Catskill Region map. The maps has countour lines as well as GPS grid so with GPS handheld, you will know where you are. It shows all lands open to hunting.

Quick Reply: Using maps, gps, etc. to find remote hunting spots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.